PDA

View Full Version : Pump Noise ?

RonD
06/16/2005, 11:44 PM
I droped a little water into my new Dart and turned it over for a few seconds to see how loud it really was... sounds like a hot tub pump... louder than I had hoped it would be.. question.... I purchased a 2" bulk head for the intake and will be keeping it at that.. I am thinking of drilling thru the floor below the tank and putting the dart in the crawl space.. its cool, its insolated and hopefully a better location for it. now, it will go from the bulk head fitting and then do a 90 degree bend and head straight down about 3 feet and then do another 90 into the intake of the pump and then up again.. the up part doesnt concern me as its basically a straight run up to the tank.. total distance: about 8 feet. what worries me is the curvey z shaped intake pipe. It says in the instructions to keep the intake pipe as short as possible. there would be down force as the sump would be draining towards the pump but... any thoughts???? tried a mouse pad and 1" styrofoam as well.. helped a bit, but not enough.

Would prefer not to go into the crawl space ... icky spiders and really hard to keep an eye on the pump... maint etc.. ideas???

BeanAnimal
06/17/2005, 08:04 AM
Firstly it was likely more noisy with both ends opend up and a bit of water poured into it.

Secondly, I built a free floating pump platform for my pumps. Essentially I used soft rubber feet under a piece of wood. ZThe platform absorbs all of the vibrations.

Thridly, I used spa-flex to make the couplers out of. Most of my plumbing is hard with the exception of these couplers and a short run from the output of each pump.

Regarding plumbing sizes: My bulkheads are 2" reduced down to 1 1/4 piping and couplers. I didn't see the need for anything larger for the PS4 pumps. However use the largest intake you can afford to assemble. The output should be the same size or 1 size up from the fittings on the pump unless the manufacturer recomends something different.

Larger diamter pipe reduces the velocity (givin the same amount of pressure, volume). Lower velocity equates to less noise.

Bean