PDA

View Full Version : best place to get livesand?

reefskpr
06/16/2005, 10:50 PM
hi all,

looking to restart my tank and go with a live sand bed this time.

can anyone point to the best place to get live sand? i did a bit of a search and www.aquacon.com seems to have the cheapest but sounds too good to be true.

thanks!

Entropy
06/17/2005, 12:21 AM
IMO, a trusted friend or reef club member is the best place to get live sand. You don't need much to add to regular aragonite to make it all live. I would just get regular aragonite in the bag, and then seed it with a couple of cups of live sand from a friend or local reef club.

BryanJ
06/17/2005, 02:36 PM
Also a bag from the local lfs will work. The savings of buying it off the net will be cancelled by the shipping. But you only need one bag don't let the lfs talk you into buying it all from them. Although I have heard arguments that you should by all live sand. I go barebottom so I can't say which is best. My next tank I will have a remote sandbed and I plan on buying all live sand. HTH.

HippieSmell
06/17/2005, 02:59 PM
I've never bought from them, but I've heard bad things about aquacon. Emphasis on the "con".

reefskpr
06/18/2005, 12:15 PM
thanks guys!

all great suggestions. i'm leaning towards buying all or partial live sand from a local fish store.

i've tried going with southdown and seeded with a few cups of well established live sand with not much success. granted there could be a million other things i did wrong.

i guess i just need to price things out and compare.