PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Kent Coral-Vite

killagoby
06/16/2005, 10:43 PM
I'm using Kent's Coral-Vite, Essential Elements, and Strontium and Molybdenum mix in my 29 gal. I'm only testing for Calcium which is at 490 in my tank. I have added equal doses of Essential Elements, and half doses of the Strontium mix (compared to what it took to get my Calcium level to 490). Am I going to run in to a problem by not testing for something such as Strontium?

jdieck
06/16/2005, 10:51 PM
All those are either vitamins or trace elements that really add very little to Calcium replenishment. By the way if you are doing regular weekly or bi-weekly water changes I would not bother adding anything. I noticed my water quality improved after I stopped adding Coral Vite. Stronium -Molybdenum I add only if I see a depletion in the growth of Coralline algae but I do not see it as critical either.
For Calcium and Alkalinity try the usual suplementation of Kalk, Ca Reactor or two part aditives.

killagoby
06/17/2005, 09:31 AM
Thanks man. I heard the 2 part additives were good. All my skimmer is skimming is blue stuff now because of the Kent products...

sherm71tank
06/17/2005, 10:46 AM
I don't think it is necessary ( at least for most people ) to dose Kent's Coral-Vite, Essential Elements, and Strontium and Molybdenum. I was concerned about the strontium, magnesium levels so I bought Salifert test kits. My Strontium was a bit on the high side and my Magnesium a little low. I was using a two part additive I found here http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm and I just increased the magnesium dosage a little. I also drip kalk. I also don't think you should add any specific additives unless you can test for it. The potential for harm is much greater than good.

lvreefer
06/17/2005, 12:54 PM
Loose the additives and do weekly water changes. Then if you need to up your calcium use a two part mix. Your corals will look better and your tank will be more stable. If you need to measure any of your water parameters go with Salifert. Unless you can afford LaMotte.

killagoby
06/17/2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by lvreefer
Loose the additives and do weekly water changes. Then if you need to up your calcium use a two part mix. Your corals will look better and your tank will be more stable. If you need to measure any of your water parameters go with Salifert. Unless you can afford LaMotte.

Good deal man. I'll switch over to the 2 part mix then...