PDA

View Full Version : How to modify eclipse 6 into a sump?

digg955
06/16/2005, 02:53 PM
How could I modify my eclipse 6 tank to make it a sump tank for my 29 gal? Also what type of materials would I have to purchase to make it a complete sump? The sump tank would be aprox 5 ft below the 29 gal tank. I would like to keep my heater and protien skimmer in the sump. What type and size of pump would I need to push the water up to the top tank, I think I would like have enough power to run pvc both to the left and right sides of my tank and use the return from the pump as power heads , is that possible? I already have an overflow box for my bigger tank to get the water down to the sump. Thank You for your help.

Dave

Chap
06/16/2005, 04:00 PM
An 6 gal tank is pretty small for a sump. Can you fit the skimmer and return pump in there? I would try for at least a 10, 15 would be better. Our 29 has a 15 gal sump with a Mag 7 return split to 2 outputs. Ours is a Sea Horse tank so flow isn't too high, for a reef I would go with at least a Mag 9.5 (if your overflow can handle it).

digg955
06/16/2005, 04:38 PM
If I get a 10 gal tank for a sump do I need to split it into 3 chambers? 1 for my pump 2 for my live rock and sand and the 3rd for my filter? Or is just a regular tank with no mods ok?

Chap
06/16/2005, 05:39 PM
You do not have to baffle the sump but it can make life a little easier. If you do baffle you can place your skimmer in the center section that will have a stable water height. Without baffles the entire sump level changes daily (if you don't have an auto top off). Bubbles can be controlled by the baffles as well. If you don't baffle then you can use filter socks to control bubbles from the overflow but the socks need to be changed frequently depending on your bioload.

My 15 does not have any baffles. I have a filter sock, ASM G1X with additional feed pump, Mag 7 return pump, MJ 600 feeding a U/V sterilizer, heater, and HOB CPR refugium in the sump. It works well for our 29.

Good luck.

digg955
06/16/2005, 07:34 PM
Thank You I will try it with out a baffle first and see how that works. I appreciate your help.

Dave