PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Coast 1/4hp chiller, on and off

kpk
06/16/2005, 12:53 AM
Hey everyone I have a question. Does your pacific coast go on and off every few minutes?

The room that the chiller is in is around 79 degrees constatly and my chiller runs for about 5 minutes for 2 degrees is of for 2-3 minutes then runs some more. Is this right? BTW I have a mag12 that is actually prolly pumping 800-900 gph tops.

Whats the deal is the thermostat messed up? Keeps the tank cool though...

Thanks,
Kyle

merlock116
06/16/2005, 03:01 AM
sounds like you've got the feed to the chiller from the sump, and then the output from the chiller back into the sump... so your constantly cooling the sump water... The controller sees warm water all the time so it's cycling too much. This setup will work if you have a large sump or if you have a very high turnover in the sump but most people don't have a large enough setup.

Best way to do it is to plumb the output of the chiller up to the tank.

kpk
06/16/2005, 07:40 AM
Well I did have it plumbed through the sump and back into and the return from the sump to the tank was a mag12. Now though I have it plumbed from the sump directly to the tank. That is why I find it weird.

What else could it be?

Kyle

myakkareef
06/16/2005, 09:23 AM
I am running a Pacific Coast 1/6 hp...And was having similiar situation. I ended up bumping the differential up to 3 instead of 2 and it really seemed to solved the short cycling of the chiller. Chiller will run longer for about 10 minutes then stay off for maybe 1/2 hour during the high heat periods of the day. Then does not run much overnight. I do keep my optimal temp at 80 deg. If I knock it down to to 78 then the chiller seems to run alot more....

Phyxius
06/16/2005, 09:30 AM
Mine was doing that too and I went to 3 degree offset like myakkareef mentioned and it doesnt do it much anymore.You might want to check the offset that its set at to kick on at. Mines set at 80 for the tank and it keeps it rock steady at 79-80 all the time.

Jeremy B.
06/16/2005, 10:15 AM
I have a mag12 that is actually prolly pumping 800-900 gph tops.

Is there any way that you can pull the outlet plumbing off of the destination of where it is going out of the chiller and fill up a gallon jug to see how long it takes. This will tell you your exact flow coming out of the pump. My guess is that you do not have enough flow going through the chiller.

soondubu
06/16/2005, 12:29 PM
i have that chiller too.

how do you change the offset?

myakkareef
06/16/2005, 12:43 PM
soon....You should be able to hold the set button down for 10 seconds to get to the offset menu...I believe not totally certain you will get a P for the differetial and a PB for the temp adjust. Temp adjust adjust the chiller reading to your normal tank readings with the thermometer in the tank...I believe you can download manuals from the pacific coast site....

kpk
06/16/2005, 01:34 PM
I tested the amount of water coming out of the return and it is like 700 gph. I also set the differential to 3 degrees. I think my problem with the gph's is that I used the like 1/2" ins and outs for the chiller that came with it. I started to put 1" adapters, but seemed really loose and 3/4" wouldn't work for sure...Thought maybe it was metric since its japanese made...

Yes you just have to hold down set for 10 seconds then d comes up and you use the +- buttons to set...

Thanks,
Kyle

myakkareef
06/16/2005, 01:50 PM
OK d is the letter you get, makes sense for "differential"....
Those fittings are metric, have read where you can use npt but I was afraid of messing them up myself...Could be your flow where it is chilling the water to fast and not giving the thermostat time to adjust...Might try the 4 degree differential....I know my chiller came set to the 4 degree. Raising the differential will increase the life of the chiller. But your tank temps may swing more then you like. Are you using a thermometer in your tank to verify your temps are steady in the tank??? And that the chiller temp reading is correct? That temp reading can be adjusted also....I always was under the influence that too little flow would lead to a fuse blowing...But maybe it will if it is wayy to little flow....

kpk
06/16/2005, 02:36 PM
Well specs on the chiller are to run between 600-1000 gph. I do have a therm in the tank and temp is always 79.5-80.5 even when it turns on and off. it doesn't even swing to degrees...

Kkyle

davebell24
06/16/2005, 03:34 PM
to increase the size of the ins and outs, you must use teflon tape and lots of it, so it won't leak ,. but it will work. They are metric, but the tape fixes that problem

myakkareef
06/16/2005, 03:46 PM
Kyle, Maybe your chiller is actually being very efficient, not sure. My chiller runs outside in the FLorida heat in a small shed with a large vent cut out the back for heat exchange...The inside of the box probally hits close to 90 deg every day during the peak hours....even though It does the job it is suppose to due, maybe it runs longer because of the conditions the chiller is in...At night my chiller rarely runs and the tank holds at 80 degrees...Since yours is sitting in 79 degree room maybe it really does chill your water rapidly...Just my thought process...

davebell24
06/16/2005, 03:53 PM
Same here, mine is in the garage with all of that heat.