PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Help on Acrylic Tank

dobber99
06/15/2005, 07:43 PM
I recently purchased a custom acrylic tank 48/29/24 http://www.marshreef.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6250&highlight=tank, and need some feedback on how I should set up my closed-loop. I have a SQWD, and a MAK4 or MAG 12 for a pump. There are 2 inputs back to the tank, right and left lower corners, for the closed loop. There are also 2 inputs back to the main tank from the return pump (refugium/sump) right and left upper corners. Should I use the SQWD for the closed-loop or just leave it as is. I'm not sure if I can get enough velocity through two 1 inch returns going simultaneously. Should I reduce the return ports to 3/4 inch? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

mdiack77
06/15/2005, 08:05 PM
Based on your description it sounds as though you just have two holes for a potential closed loop? (one on the left and another on the right) Is this correct? If so, you'd need more outlets for returns. You can take either side for a feed to the pump, and reduce down the 1" to say 1/2" and create a manifold like the one pictured below which will give you alot of flow.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/6352459018mini-manifoldclosedloop.jpg

On my existing 90g I have one 1" feed going to my Mag 12 and two 1/2" returns. Its worked ok, but I've supplemented with 3 PowerSweeps for more circulation.

dobber99
06/15/2005, 08:28 PM
I can use the returns on the upper right and left hand corners for for the closed loop as well if I had to, but I don't want to put a manifold on the top of the aqurium.

mdiack77
06/15/2005, 08:40 PM
Well, if you have 3 returns and 1 feed, then you should be good. But if they are all 1" then you'd have to size them down or your flow would stink with a pump that size. I'd use a 4-way Oceans Motion to switch them all up.

dobber99
06/15/2005, 08:59 PM
What about using a sqwd for a tank this size? Would it be enough flow or would I have to supplement with a seio or tunze?

mdiack77
06/15/2005, 09:02 PM
Yeah, that would work too. What do you plan on keeping?

dobber99
06/15/2005, 09:09 PM
I have mostly softies with a few sps and lps in my 75 right now (very very crouded), which I will be transfering soon as I can decide on what route to take with the plumbing. I will gradually sell off the softies, and stick with mostly sps/lps.

phlipper84
06/15/2005, 10:29 PM
Mostly you want to go with more flow. I am plumbing my new tank's closed loop with a total of 5 holes. going to run 2 intakes and 1 return through the bottom. From what I am hearing, I will probably have to scale back the returns as all the bulkheads are 3/4". I am using a reef flo Dart which should be a bit bigger than what you are running. I am also utilizing loc-line y's so the 3 returns will act like 6. I don't like the scwd. I had one on my tank and it stopped working after 3 months. Was to hard to take out so I just let it run from one side.