PDA

View Full Version : CL-650 Chiller not working like it used to

justgettinstarted
06/15/2005, 07:07 PM
I have had this Pacific Coast CL-650 for about a year now and just within the last week it seems like it is really struggling to keep the temp down. It never had this problem befrore, and now once it hits 80 degrees it seems stuck....

The fan that blows over the radiator portion is making a strange noise that it never did before and i am wondering if it is not pushing out enough of the heat to let the water chill more????

The unit seems to be getting a lot warmer than it used to so i put a large box fan in front and removed the grill to see if this helps.

Has anyone ever had this problem? Or have an idea what the problem is????

I am wondering if i can order a new fan and that will fix the problem

Thanks,
Garrett

k3v1n
06/15/2005, 10:01 PM
I don't have a CL-650 but I have a jbj 1/4 chiller plumbed to my 100 gallon sump in the garage and the chiller is having a hard time bring the temps down also. But I live in TX. I to have a box fan in front of the chiller for air flow. I am moving it into the house for cooler air to be drawn in from the chiller to maybe help the process. I am planning to make a box to dump all the heat into the garage...of course the enclosure will have some sort of exhaust fan to force the hot air out.

myakkareef
06/16/2005, 09:26 AM
My intstructions for my Pacific Coast says if chiller in a moist enviroment the chiller fan needs to be oiled periodically...Not sure how to do this but maybe your fan is slowing down and needs oiled....

norskfisk
06/16/2005, 10:34 AM
It sounds like a fan problem. Check if the fan i jammed by dirt or something is loose. Maybe the air path is clogged by dust. Yes, it could be that it needs oil. Replace the fan if you cant get it to work properly.

justgettinstarted
06/16/2005, 11:28 AM
ok thanks a lot everyone, i talked to Andy @ MRC where i got it and he gave me their contact info, so i am going to call and ask them before i do anything. But depending on what they saw i might try taking it apart to get to the fan and then oiling it.

Thanks

Garrett

juststartingout
06/16/2005, 11:29 AM
Make sure the coils are free of any dust/lint to assure proper airflow over the coils

myakkareef
06/16/2005, 12:44 PM
If they tell you how to oil the fan please post this information on this thread. I know my chiller runs in a less then optimal enviroment and I should be oiling the fan. The poorly written manual states to oil it,but not how to oil it....

chevell
06/19/2005, 03:36 PM
If there is even the slightest leak the freon will seep out destroying the ability of the chiller to do it's job. They can service them and fix the leak then recharge and they will work like new again.Had this problem once and luckily the makers of my aqualogic chiller are just a few miles from here so no expensive shipping was needed.Just a though incase it wasn't the fan causing the problem.

cc3
06/19/2005, 05:24 PM
if fiddling with the fan doesn't work, try backflushing the system. reverse the intake & outlet and let it run for a few minutes to get out build up sludge that might cover the coils(do this outside in a bucket)