PDA

View Full Version : Reeffanatic pH/Temp Gauge - Calibrating?

Morgandy
06/15/2005, 01:20 PM
All,

I don't want to go into all issues with this gauge (continues to get more defective within the past 6 mths). It is a Reeffanatic pH/temp meter. The front has PH4 and PH7 and a Calibration button.

2 questions
1) I heard on a thread that for saltwater, hands down, you must use 7 and 10 to calib. The meter only has 4 and 7, but it is a marine meter. So, 4 okay to calibrate with (it is the only option on this meter, I have to assume it is thus okay)

2) Lost my instructions, been a while since I calibrated since I waited quite awhile for RF to send replacement parts due to 'issues' with the probes. Anyone who has this type, can you just quickly give the instructions to me? I can't get hold of RF by phone, and email responses from them always take a couple days.

I don't see that they are a sponsor, otherwise I would hit that forum up.

Oh, 3rd question actually, anyone notice that the pH probe has to be almost at surface of water to get any kind of correct reading? If the tip is more than 2-4 inches down, the readings drop way way down (like into low 7's and further down).

thx hugely!

xabo
06/15/2005, 04:52 PM
B]You MUST calibrate a new PH probe using pH7 calibration buffer first.[/B]

Press and hold down the "Cal" button for 3 secs. The pH reading display will flash indicating the monitor is in calibration mode.

Dip the tip of probe in and temperature probe in pH7 buffer.
Wait approx. 15 secs. for readind to stablize.

Press "pH7" button and value should read 7.00

Rinse tip of probes w/RO water. Repeat using pH4 buffer.

Rinse both probes and place in water you want to readings of.

This is the condensed version, HTH.

Morgandy
06/15/2005, 10:21 PM
Well, I calibrated correctly, took it back to lfs who calibrated it and found it to be totally defective after all again. So now I am proud owner of a Milwaukee (for free), and after weeks of unsure pH readings, we are dead on at 8.3. THANKS for taking time with the instructions though.