PDA

View Full Version : Careful what you wish for...

brians_224
06/14/2005, 09:17 AM
Thanks for your time!

I've had my first rbta for 1 year now. Over the period of 8 months, I've found that one has now become 7 as a reult of splitting. My water quality is good, I have MH, I feed them once a week.

Yeah I know, so whats the problem? The problem is,I can't remove any of them. I have two people lined up to purchase 1 each, but I can't seem to get them loose. 6 of the seven are on a single rock thats about the size of a small volleyball. The rock has many deep holes. Each anemone has its foot deep inside one of these holes in the rock.

I've tried on two seperate occassions to remove them to no avail. I've tried using powerheads, my fingernail and a toothpick. After my first attempt, I moved the rock from the highest part of my tank to the lowest, and increased the flow.

They won't budge.

WHAT NOW?

ficklefins
06/14/2005, 09:38 AM
What if you were to cover the area above the anemone with some screen so that no light gets onto the anemone. You could use some egg crate material for support and then lay the screen across it. Perhaps when it realizes that it isn't getting any light it will move?

brians_224
06/14/2005, 09:41 AM
Hmmm - thats good post. :)

Fiber glass screen over egg crate - I'll give that a try for sure!

Toddrtrex
06/14/2005, 09:49 AM
I feel your pain brains_224. My BTAs are taking over my 58g, My Haddoni and SPSs are too happy about it either. Though my saddleback pair seems to love it.

brians_224
06/14/2005, 10:07 AM
Thanks Todd - misery loves company. :) I felt stupid posting my situation as a problem - there are people who can't even have a single rbta much less seven.

I'm going to try reducing the light method next. Until now, I've been planning my efforts around the delivery date - i'd try the night before. This method appears to be much more less predicatable - its on the RBTA's time.

If one should decide to venture off the rock, what is the recommended method of containment? Could I keep it in a strawberry box type device with in my tank until delivery?

Toddrtrex
06/14/2005, 10:13 AM
When I was likey enough to catch one that was moving, 2 days before I sold it, I put it in a tupperware with holes cut in the top (water circulation) the less light for two days didn't seem to hurt it. The only concern I would have with a strawberry containor is that it may be able to squeeze through the holes.

I too feel bad about complain about this too, but to me they are ALMOST worse than GSP. :) I can't cut down on my lighting -SPS and my Haddoni, but I only feed them once a month now, and pray that I can check them on the move and place them in one of my sumps (two tanks).

brians_224
06/14/2005, 10:16 AM
cool.

FishnWishn
06/14/2005, 12:11 PM
I have heard that ice cubes in a baggie applied to the foot will loosen it up. Have not had the need to try it but I have heard of success. If they are on separate rocks just give/sell/trade the LR. WhenI bought my RBTA the LFS gave me the rock with it. When I put it in my tank it moved within an hour and I returned the rock.

Toddrtrex
06/14/2005, 12:27 PM
I was able to do the rock trick when I took down my 10g. But in my 58g. that is not going to happen. I finally have the rock the way I (and the tank mates) like it. I am just going to have to get lucky and wait for one of them to move and remove them then.

tekknoschtev
06/14/2005, 02:52 PM
I have also heard that aiming a power head towards the offender will get it to move.

Toddrtrex
06/14/2005, 02:54 PM
It can, but hard to do in an established reef, without wreaking havoc, at least in my case. : )

dhoch
06/14/2005, 03:07 PM
Todd,

I don't have a good idea, but I'm taggin along as I have a couple I need to get out of my own tank....I have in a 180....

First one I would like to get out this weekend...

Am curious about how to store after I get out (figured I would give it a shot on saturday when I have time for a sunday pick up).

I am willing to break down the rocks that they are all on, but I'm just worried about hurting them.

So I guess my question is after I get one out... What do I do with him? (to keep him until someone comes to pick him up).

Dave

Toddrtrex
06/14/2005, 03:41 PM
Dave, this is what I did when I took down my 10g (which had two BTAs - which I was selling) About a month ago I finish making a sump for my 75g. It has a fuge section that I was going to place the rocks from the 10 into. I couldn't get the BTAs to release so I just placed them (attached to the rocks) into the sump. Within 30 mins both had started to move. I was able to catch them. SInce the guy who was buying them was coming over in a couple of hours I just placed them in an open tupperware. I placed it higher up on the rocks so that water would still flow into it but it would be hard for them to get out.

How long would you think would pass before someone came and picked them up? If it is only a couple of days I would think that a larger tupperware with hole cut in the lid would work. Just leave it in the tank (or sump) in an area that will get some flow. I did that in the past (two days) without any issues. The holes in the lid were about 1" square each. HTH>

dhoch
06/14/2005, 04:32 PM
First one is coming by sunday... I was thinking of doing the extraction on saturday (less trauma).... I acutally have a 10 and a 29 I could put them... Maybe I'll save the water from the next water change....

Dave

jaybro
06/14/2005, 07:07 PM
I had the same problem. I tried the ice cubes, credit cards, you name it. I couldn't get them loose. Finally I put the rock that had most of them on it in a single 55g tank (attached to the main system). I put the rock at one end, and a 150w MH at the other (more shining out of the tank, than in). After roughly 3-4 weeks, and all at once, they all detached from the rock and moved to the light on the other side.

I hate causing stress to animals due to poor planning on my part. :{ In the end though it worked, and I learned my lesson. No RBTAs in non-species specific tanks.