PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine Tank Questions

thc0916
06/13/2005, 12:23 PM
My main tank is now 3 weeks old, and I will probably won't add fish for another 2-3 weeks. My questions are...When do I need to set up a quarantine tank? Does size matter? (yuk, yuk) I assume that the quarantine tank needs to cycle just like the main tank. Is there anything specific that needs to be in the quarantine tank? Are there any basic operating procedures for a quarantine tank? Thanks in advance. :rolleye1:

johnjjk
06/13/2005, 12:38 PM
Sir,

If you don't have any inverts in your new tank, I would add the fish directly to the tank. Treat it as a QT tank.

In case that something does break out, Marine Ich or someother bad guy, then you just treat the main tank.

Once the main tank is stabilized (no illness) then before added any new fish you should QT them.

Setting up a QT tank is easy as far as cycling.

I set one up the same day I buy fish. I just throw in a canister filter Right Now bacteria, mix new sea water and it's up and running within the same day.

But the most important thing is buying healthy animals. Check them carefully, make sure they are eating, ask questions like "have you had any problems recently" and check the other animals in other tanks. Even this does not always work.

John Krivda
New Jersey

Shoestring Reefer
06/13/2005, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't add them to the main tank. You'll contaminate your rock and sand (if you use sand).

Go ahead and set up the QT now. QTs usually don't have sand or rock, so you don't have a "cycle", but you do need mature filtration. Use some hind of hang-on filter, and put the filter pad in your display tank (or sump, if you have one) for a week or so to "seed" the filter. Then, put it in your QT.

If you're QT was ready now, you could put fish in it now. By the time they were done in QT, your display tank would be ready for them.

rtc_reefer
06/13/2005, 02:41 PM
I agree set up a QT now prior to adding any fish. You cannot treat ich in the display tank with LR/LS.

Steven Pro
06/13/2005, 04:27 PM
Take a look at this article I wrote on quarantine tanks,
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.htm

blorkiemom
06/14/2005, 01:08 PM
I'm going to slightly disagree with Shoestring Reefer (only slightly!) and suggest that you will probably get a small cycle in your QT even if you've seeded it with filter media from the main tank. When I added two clowns to my 20G QT, I got a low ammonia reading (.25) for a couple of days and it took about 2 weeks for it to get back to ) on the ammonia and nitrates. IMO, it's important to test and be ready to do water changes in the QT any time you add a new fish until you are past the mini-cycle or can feel confident you won't have one. To follow up on the other advice you've gotten, you can't treat your display tank with most meds because it will kill the inverts and everything in the LR. Your QT tank will be one of the best investments you make in this hobby--that and the refratometer you will eventually buy if you haven't already. :-)

Shoestring Reefer
06/14/2005, 01:24 PM
I agree with what Rebecca said about some ammonia, I guess I wasn't thinking about that and had a "display tank" type of cycle on the brain. :)

thc0916
06/14/2005, 06:48 PM
Refratometer??? Como esta, say what??? Never heard of that. Please explain... And, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Also, I am not quite clear on what needs to be in the QT. Can I get some help with what needs to be in the QT? And, is the QT a tank that will be set up forever, or only set up when I need?

Steven Pro
06/14/2005, 08:11 PM
A refractometer is a device used to measure salinity. It is much more accurate than thjose plastic box swing arm style hydrometers that most people use.

For most aspects of how to setup a quarantine tank, read that linked article above. If you have specific questions after that, feel free to fire away.

thc0916
06/14/2005, 10:12 PM
OH yeah...i followed that link and then didn't have time to read it...sorry about that. Thanks again.