PDA

View Full Version : Closed Loop or Streams

Stolak
06/13/2005, 10:30 AM
Unsure as to where to post this so I thought this would be the best place

I am currently awaiting delivery of a 4' (49g UK) tank and am toying with the idea of a Closed Loop System and a false wall

Closed loop system - either Under the Live Rock or on the surface with a spray bar under the live Rock,

False Wall - Was thinking of getting my Heaters, Pumps, Skimmer, Externally oulet & inlet in here

Currently I have a 3' Softy Tank using powerheads, but want something a bit less cluttered

So it is either a stream or 2 or the CLS

Dont want a sump asI would worry about flooding far to much so a 4" wide x lth of tank with have to suffice

Anyone any thoughts/ideas/critisisms

Thanks
:rollface:

jthnhale
06/13/2005, 10:54 AM
I have a cl using a blueline 40x pump. I think I would rather have the streams. They would give more flow and they can be controlled. They also would save quite a bit of electricity. The only downside for me is their cost and getting used to their size.

when setting up my tank I thought of building an equipment section into it. I was afraid of floods as well. if you use an internal overflow, which is what I did, there is little chance of a flood. I made two durso pipes for my one overflow. they are both 1.25" and can each handle the return flow on their own. I can't see anyway it will ever flood.

LobsterOfJustice
06/13/2005, 11:03 AM
I too would seriously consider a sump, but that's not what this is about...

All I can say is I spent about $700 and 6 months trying to set up my closed loop, and eventually bought some maxi-jets. Plumbing problems, pump problems, leaks, etc. Also, unless the tank is drilled, I think a closed loop is even more ugly than a few powerheads. You still have the outlets, plus a huge intake pipe. So if you do the closed loop, drill the tank. But if your going to drill the tank, might as well drill for an overflow too...

marinelife
06/13/2005, 11:31 AM
Stream, Took my closed loop and replaced with Stream pumps!!

Stolak
06/13/2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the help guys, i think Streams are the way to go, anyone know of a cheap :eek1: :eek1: Stream Supplier in the UK

Shoestring Reefer
06/13/2005, 01:07 PM
Your tank might be too small for a stream. I know someone that put one (the smallest non-variable speed) in his 90, and it was too much. Just my 0.02.

Stolak
06/13/2005, 01:55 PM
Off course never thought about that

Damb, really dont want to use PH and the Closed loop syatem looks an awful lot of work

PeteUK
06/13/2005, 04:45 PM
Paraquatics in the UK are good for tunze, see website

http://www.paraquatics.co.uk/

I thought a stream might be too much flow for my tank too, but don't worry, they're not THAT mental, just very good.

JW Jersey
06/13/2005, 07:00 PM
I have a 6000 stream with multi controller in my 90 gal. I'm planning on getting another soon. It's awsome, Not a problem with a controller.

Stolak
06/14/2005, 04:15 AM
Would it be possibble to run 1 x Tunze 6060 (6000lph - about 30x total volume of tank) with out a controller in a 4' tank or would that be far to much of a flow from one part of the tank

Cheers Guys

:p

PeteUK
06/14/2005, 06:20 AM
I have the TS7 unit (which is the 6100 stream i think) on a 5ft tank and am thinking of putting a second one on as it's not enough flow... so I would say you'd be fine. You can always deflect it off glass to a greater / lesser extent if you want to change the flow.