PDA

View Full Version : How to restrict a Tunze's flow?

Shoestring Reefer
06/13/2005, 09:53 AM
I have a Tunze, I believe it's a 6080, the big non-controllable one. It's too much for my 125, it blows sand off the bottom about 4 feet away, I had to relocate all my corals and move some rocks so the tank doesn't look as good, and my fish don't swim in part of my tank! Can I restrict the flow by putting something like filter foam around the intake?

Another option is to trade with a club member that would like a bigger one, but I might want this one back when I upgrade.

chadfarmer
06/13/2005, 07:02 PM
that why i always suggest buying the controlable ones (you can reduce the flow to 30%of the max)

WILDTHING
06/13/2005, 07:09 PM
If they are like the Seio's and have slits cut around the outside I saw a thread where someone put saran over some of the slits. It was to prevent a vortex from forming if it is located high up in the tank but it also restricts the amount of water that enters and so dials down the flow.

colleen

sylaak
06/13/2005, 07:43 PM
Wouldn't blocking the intake cause a good bit of stress to the pump and shorten its life?

moonpod
06/13/2005, 07:46 PM
Is there a set screw on the blue driver box of the 6080? If so, you can dial down the flow via that screw.