PDA

View Full Version : Help with Dip

jasper24
06/12/2005, 06:17 PM
I have some new Zoas on the way and I want to dip them just in case. Can someone please tell me if Lugols Iodine and the regular Iodine at the drug store are the same? If not is it ok to use just palin Iodine in RO water if the temp and ph are adjusted?

Smo
06/12/2005, 10:03 PM
I have done exactly what you are asking. I purchased the "drugstore" iodine, it's labeled as Tincture of Iodine (or Iodine Tincture depending on how it's labled). It is similar to Lugol's in that it contains both iodine and iodide. But, the drugstore variety is mostly alcohol. The main key here is that the drugstore variety is very weak compared to Lugol's. Here is the info on Lugol's:
PRODUCT: Lugol's Solution
SECTION II.
HAZARDOUS
MATERIALS % CAS No. DOT Classification
Potassium Iodide 10% 7681-11-0 Not Regulated
Iodine 5% 7553-56-2 Not Regulated

The combination of iodine and iodide in the drugstore version is just above 4% total. This means Lugol's is almost 4 times as strong.

If you use the drugstore type, you must increase your drops per gallon by about 3½ times. It works! My first zoo dip with the drugstore iodine yielded great results. Got rid of many pods :( , but the clincher was the black/white checkered sundial snail that was eating the zoos. I couldn't see him upon first inspection of my newly acquired zoanthids. He dove off during the dip.

Good luck!

MUCHO REEF
06/13/2005, 05:54 PM
Jasper, did you receive my PM the other day?

Mucho