PDA

View Full Version : Colt coral mounting questions

vanguard
02/02/2002, 05:12 PM
I have a frag trading meeting coming up next weekend. Because I am a doofus, I waited until yesterday to clip and mount my colt coral to a small piece of live rock.

Mounted corals seem to be much hotter items at my frag trading meeting (based on the one meeting I've attended so far) so I'd really like to hear that it will attach itself in a week.

So, am I doomed or will it attach itself in 8 days?

Vanguard

tyoberg
02/02/2002, 05:42 PM
It may attach by then--try wrapping some netting around it to hold it down to a rock.

TYRYFIN
02/02/2002, 05:54 PM
Try taking a tooth pick and shove it through the base of the coral and the take a rubberband and figure 8 it around the rock. The coral will soon attach to the rock.

vanguard
02/02/2002, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I'm using a plastic tie wrap to hold it on the rock. It seems to be mounted on there nicely (although it took a couple of tries). I like to pick a rock with a little bit of a "U" in it, then I stick it in the nook, and hold it there with a plastic tie, rubber band, or a toothpick.

This is my thrid time mounting soft corals. However, I don't have a good feel for how long it takes to mount because my first few tries kept coming apart from the rock. My technique seems to have improved but I don't have any experience being good at it. :)

Any other opinions? Can these things take in a week?

Vanguard

PS It may be a little early to claim that I've become good at this. I've seen these soft corals come free from their rock after being mounted nicely for a few days.

SSEAL
02/02/2002, 10:16 PM
The toothpick is a great idea. I've tried fragging a colt before and the frag piece always seemed to slip out of the rubber band then disappear in my tank. Next time I will use the toothpick...will this work with other softies?

sseal

tendar
02/02/2002, 10:58 PM
Ive tried the tooth pick on colts before and it always disolves through the tisue before it attached to the rock. I do use tooth pick for my leather frags and works well. I actually made 4 small finger leather frags today since the 4 I made a mounth ago are ready for trading.