PDA

View Full Version : SOS computer help, quick pleeeease!!

Nina51
06/10/2005, 06:44 AM
i'm running outlook express. it's now 6:45ish a.m. since 4:15 a.m., i have had an incoming e-mail. i dunno if somebody is sending me a HUMONGOUS file or what but i need to know, is there any way to delete the frickin' thing NOW??

i'm on dial-up (oh the joys of living in the stone age boonies!) and some of the e-friends i have are clueless as to how long big files take to come in. it's slowing everything down, takes forEVER for pages to load while i'm getting mail like this.

can anybody clue me in here?? high speed internet would be wonderful but it ain't an option. if it was, believe me, i would HAVE it!! thanks in advance. nina:)

TheBimbo
06/10/2005, 07:07 AM
I'm sure there is a way to stop this from coming through... What about if when you hit the send/receive button hit the stop one... Have you tried shutting down the computer??? I know there is a way to stop it, maybe hit control-alt-delete at the same time, brings up the applications that will be running ( i think I'm explainging this the right way...) then go to the mail in the pop up box and hit cancel ... I'm sorry if I'm rambling but I know how to do it but explaining it is different... sorry but somebody will be waking up sooon to help you... ;)

TheBimbo:rollface:

Gawain1974
06/10/2005, 07:18 AM
Can you access your email through your web browser before you download it to your computer? I had the same problem when I was on dialup. Try exiting out of Outlook, when it burps at you and asks you if you want to quit while it is in the process of downloading the message, say yes. Then launch your web browser and check your email. It should let you see your message and attachments without actually downloading them to your computer. If you have a message with a huge attachment, you can delete it directly on the server before you download to your computer. I hope I'm making sense.

Nina51
06/10/2005, 08:00 AM
thanks guys, it all made sense (even to ME!)...turns out it was a friend sending a dozen HUGE pics. will have to remind her again to use my hotmail account.

dial-up is the pits. i don't know if high speed will be available out here in my lifetime but if it ever is, i'll pay whatever i have to!

thanks again for the help. :)