PDA

View Full Version : PH high in new tank

jmack
06/08/2005, 08:32 PM
I just added live rock to my tank yesterday. Today everything is normal except ph..(high). Is this the norm for a new tank? Or do I need to use something to bring it down while rock cycles?

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/09/2005, 06:06 AM
No, it is nor normal for a new tank to have high pH.

What pH is it, at what time of day?

What are you adding to the water, if anything?

How are you measuring pH?

jmack
06/09/2005, 11:38 AM
I am using all-in one test strips..the PH is at the far end of the scale..not sure exact number but its the highest color according to strip. Is there a better way to test? This seems like a very inaccurate way to measure nitrates & ammonia also. It looks like the alkalinity is high too..our water is hard here. I added dechlorinator to the water initially.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/09/2005, 12:30 PM
A pH meter would be best, followed by a color change kit. Without knowing the range on your strip, I can't conclude if there is a problem or not.

I also don't recommend using tap water out of concerns about copper and other impurities. This article describes the tap water concerns:

Tap Water in Reef Aquaria
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2004/chem.htm

jmack
06/09/2005, 11:40 PM
Randy..my total alkalinity looks like 180 today.. PH is 8.4 Hardness is 425ppm (crazy!)

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/10/2005, 06:07 AM
An alkalinity of 180 ppm is fine (that's 3.6 meq/L). A pH of 8.4 is also fine. If that "hardness" is really calcium ion, then it too is fine. :)

jmack
06/12/2005, 10:00 PM
Thanks! I'm in NV and we have the hardest water in the country I think..lots of calcium. I've looked at our water analysis reports and I can't find anything too bad on them..

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/13/2005, 05:48 AM
Copper most often comes from your own pipes, and not the water supply itself, so even if thwe water is good, it may not be suitable as it comes out of your faucet.