PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out.

wizard832
06/07/2005, 11:28 PM
Greetings all. I am just getting started in saltwater, and am looking for some advice. I am planning on setting up a 45g with a 20h sump/fuge. Am looking at a JBJ 192w pc lighting setup, and trying to decide on a skimmer. Am basically planning on a FOWLR set-up, but might try to keep whatever comes on the lr I get. Am in the process of reading all of the getting started threads and articles I can get my hands on, but the information is a little overwhelming. If anyone out there can help me to distill it down a little for my situation right now I would appreciate it. Thanks,
Rob

Konadog
06/07/2005, 11:35 PM
Rob,
[welcome]

My first suggestion is to spend the time reading and searching for skimmers. Then narrow it down to the ones (models) that sound like they might work on your tank. Use the sponsor link at the top of the page to check prices and manufacturer information. Then before you buy, ask more questions.

Now, ask yourself, do you think in the next 2 years that you will upgrade your tank, change your mind on a FOWLR tank and go to some sort of reef? If so, keep this in mind when you look for your skimmer. It may save you $$ later.

wizard832
06/07/2005, 11:43 PM
Konadog,
Thanks for the welcome. Currently I am looking at a Remora HOB skimmer due to some advice I got after asking about another skimmer that someone was offering to give me.

WaterKeeper
06/08/2005, 12:17 AM
Welcome Wiz and...

In an effort to really overwhelm you I offer--The New Tank Thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239848).