PDA

View Full Version : DSB or SSB

MDogg44
06/07/2005, 10:14 PM
I recently purchased a 180G tank and am trying to decide whether or not to use a DSB or SSB.I am planning on using a sump/refuge with a DSB.Should I use a plenum system with the DSB on both the tank and the sump,or only one or the other,or neither?There or lots of different opinions I'm sure.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maxxumless
06/07/2005, 10:23 PM
Your best bet would be to do a lot of research to see if either is for you. Personally, I find DSBs ugly, unnecessary and too delicate. For every pro I guarantee I could list three negatives. If the reason for a DSB is for nitrate reduction (filtration) then a plenum/mud filter would do a much better job IMO. However, a plenum would have to be of considerable size (compared to main tank) if it were to be your primary filtration and would work best with less brisk water flow typical with a sump/fuge unless it were to be in a different or separate compartment. Studies have shown that a shallow sand bed (2-3 inches) is as effective as a DSB because 80-90 percent of bacterial growth happens in the first 3cm. Another note, with a tank of that size I would think seriously about making the refugium a different container all together, have it be a plenum and grow mangroves and macro algae (w/ only a 100-200gph flow). Just my 2 cents.

WaterKeeper
06/07/2005, 10:34 PM
There is been no real advantage shown for the plenum systems since you left the hobby. Most people just use the DSB with good results. OK, he is all yours you bare bottom folks. :D

romunov
06/08/2005, 01:15 AM
bare bottom folks
Noughty WaterKeeper. :D

A DSB is for you if you're willing to build a tank around it. If not, then go with something else. :)

Here is a list of DSB articles (http://gutfeeling.mine.nu/my/dsb.html) (yes, you have to read them all :) ) you might wanna check out before you even start planning.

kenny77
06/08/2005, 01:39 AM
i will read the article that romunov have. (all!!!)

but if you want to have a DSB go with a real DSB. at least 4". most of the cases of tank crashing because the DSB is because the have a SSB (-3"). you might find some info about why this in the articles. also do a search here on RC in the reef forum. there are a lot of thread about that and why go either real DSB or BB

icliao
06/08/2005, 01:48 AM
I will use SSB in tank and DSB in sump without plenum.
Reason => look better in tank, easy to maintain, cheapest to set up and no big difference in water quality. I would recommand 6"+ for DSB and 2" max for SSB.

MDogg44
06/08/2005, 09:08 AM
Any recommedations on a sump size for 180G