PDA

View Full Version : Royal Gramma Owners Needed!!!

Fishyfreak031592
06/07/2005, 06:24 PM
When i was acclimating my royal gramma a few minutes ago, it was on its side, but still breathing. I would tap the bowl and it would perk up for a few seconds, but then go on its side again. When i was done acclimating, i put it in my tank and it was fine, swimming around for a while, and then went to go hide in the live rock. Im wondering, is this normal??? All of my levels are fine and the fish has been in there for about an hour. I havent seen it since. Please help me and tell me what is wrong!!!

Lucas:confused: :( :eek:

Fishyfreak031592
06/07/2005, 06:25 PM
Im worried about the lop-sided part, not the hiding part.........

Fishyfreak031592
06/07/2005, 06:34 PM
PLEASE PEOPLE I NEED HELP!!!!

Timebomb88
06/07/2005, 06:39 PM
Grammas are weird swimmers. They can swim on their backs and stuff, when my cleaner shrimp was cleaning it, he was on his back, so I'm sure that him being lop sided is ok.

eraml
06/07/2005, 06:40 PM
I had a royal gramma do the same thing before(no longer have one in my tank) i put him in the water and be swam around and then went into a whole in a piece of live rock(rock has one opening and hollow inside) so the next day i couldnt find him and he was dead floating on the inside of the LR.
I would check inside your live rock to make sure he is not just floating in it dead, polluting your water.

Fishyfreak031592
06/07/2005, 06:49 PM
i saw his head poke out for a split second, but then he saw me and went back in. I think its ook right now....I dont know

viceversabrd
06/07/2005, 06:49 PM
I think it would be best to sit back and observe the gramma, I'm sure it was just stressed out because of the acclimation, I had mine do the smae exact thing, watch it for a couple of days, they are shy at first, good luck!!!

eraml
06/07/2005, 07:00 PM
yes i agree, just watch the fish, they will become more "bold" and out more once they get accustomed to the tank. So i suggest to just sit back, relax, and enjoy watching your tank.

Fishyfreak031592
06/07/2005, 07:14 PM
Ok thanks...

Lucas

NewMariner
06/07/2005, 07:44 PM
I agree with everyone else, every RG I have owned has always acted lethargic when first placed in the tank....after they get accustomed to the tank thats when they start acting "normal"

55gSW
06/07/2005, 10:36 PM
It took mine 3 days before it would venture out from it's rock so don't worry about that part of it. As for the lopsided thing, I believe these fish tend to live near caves and overhangs and will always keep their belly towards the hard surface so being upside down or at an angle is not unusual for them.

Good luck with your new fish!:p

ozadars
06/08/2005, 01:51 PM
Grammas and dottybacks do this when they are introduced to a new environment. They usually go down to the bottom, hide near a rock. After some time, they hide in a hole and stay there without moving.

Frick-n-Frags
06/09/2005, 12:17 AM
royal grammas need to establish their hiding place and gain security. They can hide for weeks if they are skittish.

Also, if you have ever noticed, the top front of their head is very dark purple and if you have ever seen it peeking out of its hole from above the water, you almost can't see the RG at all because all you can see is the really dark part of his head. Probably a lot tougher to get picked off if it is hard to distinguish from the rock.

Also, once they get comfy with their terrain, they can shoot like a bullet back to their hideout busting all the moves without touching any LR. Then you just see them peeking out a second later.

They always have been my favorite saltwater fish.