PDA

View Full Version : Basement Sump Causing Problems with Hubby! Help!

GettingFiesty
06/07/2005, 06:10 PM
The basement sump is evaporating like crazy and is obviously putting too much salted humidity into the air and his tools are starting to rust--not a good thing :(

My first thought is to try to wall in the sump area--maybe with a folding door or something and even put an inexpensive air conditioner in there to help with the cooling.

We are trying to think of all possible solutions (obviously the cheaper the better) so would appreciate any input/comments.

Thanks!

JHReef
06/07/2005, 06:21 PM
Enclose the sump and vent the air to the outside with a fan. In the meantime, some good ol' WD-40 should keep the tools from getting worse. Can't blame him for being worried about the tools though. I would be too.

dhoch
06/07/2005, 06:22 PM
I have my whole setup in my basement (this is it's first summer...before it was a 125 and upstairs)....

Anyway I noticed a huge amount of evaporation and was getting condensation on some of my pumbing, so I got a dehumidifier...

Works like a charm... Ran 24 hours the first day and now I keep the humidity at ~60% (which I think is dryer than the basement was before).

I should note that in a small area a dehumidifier is going to give off a fair amount of heat.

Dave

JBrown
06/07/2005, 06:22 PM
I had the same problem as well when my sump was in the basement. Adding a dehumidifier helped but I also walled in my sump area which helped even more. Good luck

djmuzzi
06/07/2005, 06:25 PM
But remember, it has nothing to do with the salt. The salt is staying behind. Salt only comes out if water is blown out in a mist.

GettingFiesty
06/07/2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by djmuzzi
But remember, it has nothing to do with the salt. The salt is staying behind. Salt only comes out if water is blown out in a mist.

Hmmm, now I wonder why this is happening this year and not in the past.

We do have a dehumidifier. Maybe it isn't on as high as it has been in the past. I will turn it up and see what happens.

All I know is that I am having serious evaporation. Am going to be changing from a non-rubbermaid container to an old 30 gallon tank within the next week or two. Maybe I am having a small undetectable leak too.

I think we will also look into closing off the area as well.

Thanks.

Shoestring Reefer
06/08/2005, 10:28 AM
Can you put a lid on the sump, like a big piece of acrylic with some holes and slots cut into it for the hoses and pipes and equipment? You could even use more than one piece, so they are smaller and easier to handle. You could stop most of the evaporation.

Shoestring Reefer
06/08/2005, 10:30 AM
Post a pic of your sump. I didn't see your sump in your gallery, but nice DIY stand and electrical panel. :)

GettingFiesty
06/08/2005, 04:43 PM
I don't currently have pictures, but will be changing sumps within the next week or two and was thinking of adding a cover which will be extra easy since I will be using an old 30 gallon.

Thanks for the compliments! :D We still have the doors to finish up, but we are getting there.

Gawain1974
06/08/2005, 04:53 PM
Well, Terry...in the meantime, could you cover your sump with some Saran Wrap? It's not pretty, but it should help. ;)

cyberpanther
06/08/2005, 05:04 PM
Off subject real quick. Regarding Saran Wrap I remember being told in Sex Ed way back when that Saran Wrap was an OK alternative for another item if you had too!! We were told that it has no pores to allow anything through, but it was the only brand, every other brand does have some sort of pores. Not sure if I believe it but no matter what, umm no thanks, and I would not recommend trying it. Just one of those funny things I had to share sorry. Now back on topic.

GettingFiesty
06/08/2005, 05:18 PM
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Will have to try it--on the sump that is!

alphaferret
06/08/2005, 05:27 PM
my dad told me you can't use anything else-not baggies not tin foil....

cyberpanther
06/08/2005, 05:30 PM
Didn't mean to sidetrack the thread...sorry about that. and P.S. DONT TRY IT!

JHReef
06/08/2005, 05:59 PM
It should at least keep "things" fresh :)

Sorry I have no shame.