PDA

View Full Version : using only 2-part and Algae is all but gone

chevegan
06/07/2005, 02:25 PM
thought I would share this with you guys. I used to use iodine, microvert, essential elements, and 2-part dosed on a bi-weekly basis in proper quantities. but then I thought, wait, how on earth do i know that i even need any of these. So i started a poll thread on this and found out that most just use 2-part or reactor and check magnesium lvls as needed. So that's what i've been doing. Only esv 2-part every other day (every day as directed by bottle was way too much calcium when tested). Since I changed over the 2 spots in my tank where bubble algae liked to grow are suddenly bare! same with the part next to my overflow where the Astrea's couldn't get to. the only algae I have is that light green type that grows on the side glass and my macros in the sump. Wonderfull, obviously supplementing the tank with all those things that you can't even test for was adding uneeded and unwanted extra nutrients in to the system. my skimmer has never produced less!(now instead of producing tons of light green wet skimate it has decided to only give me the SMELLY DARK BROWN gross stuff) lol I love it. once again this has been my experience with doing this. if you have a similar experience please share.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/07/2005, 02:32 PM
Only esv 2-part every other day (every day as directed by bottle was way too much calcium when tested).

If the calcium was high, but not the alkalinity, then it is likely the calcium came from somewhere else, like using a high calcium salt mix (e.g., Oceanic). Usually, overdosing a two part additive results in high alkalinity (or pH) rather than calcium as they raise calcium by only 18-20 ppm for every 1 meq/L (2.8 dKH) of alkalinity.

chevegan
06/07/2005, 03:59 PM
thanks for your advice Randy, always appreciated. i should check the alk as well. Unfortunatlly I've been neglecting all tests :( laziness is a destructive disorder. I'm going to order an electronic Ph meter right now, you drove me to it. Oh and thank god I've never used Oceanic :). Thank you very much again.

impur
06/07/2005, 05:52 PM
Depending on your tanks needs, you might be able to just do weekly WCs to replace alk, calcium and trace elements. If not the ESV is a great way to replace used up alk and calcium. Definately get the alk test, i find that alk needs more attention than calcium.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/07/2005, 05:58 PM
thanks for your advice Randy

You're welcome.

Good luck. :)

chevegan
06/08/2005, 04:14 PM
btw I do have a alk test kit.....i just hate dripping it in a tube till I see it go yellow/blue lol. bad laziness! Bad!

cyberpanther
06/08/2005, 04:45 PM
btw I do have a alk test kit.....i just hate dripping it in a tube till I see it go yellow/blue lol. bad laziness! Bad!

Trust me you are not the only one. It definitely needs tested, but I think there is a lot of people out there, including myself, that don't test the ALK as regularly as they should IMO. It can lead to disaster.

impur
06/08/2005, 04:52 PM
I'm paranoid about it so i test the alk every morning. :/

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/08/2005, 06:57 PM
I rarely test. Limewater additions with accompanying water changes are fairly forgiving, and I only need to check that once in a while (say,once in 6 months), things have not drifted too far out of balance. :)

chevegan
06/08/2005, 09:50 PM
I purchansed an electronic Ph Meter that should be on its way here. It'll be on all the time that'll help.