PDA

View Full Version : Reef safety equipment?

tgunn
06/07/2005, 01:44 PM
Hey all,
I'm trying to stock my fish room up with some basic safety equipment and just wanted to get some input on things people keep around "just in case".

So far I've got:
1. Fire extinguisher
2. MSDS sheets for all chemicals I'm using - particularily important for Calcium Hydroxide (aka Kalk) since it's pretty harsh/caustic.
3. Emergency eye wash bottle
4. Safety glasses

I'm going to get some shoulder length gloves as well.

What other things do people think are good to have around?

I'm thinking I'd like to assemble some information on the toxicity of the corals/fish in my eventual system (something for my own reference in case I get stung or squirted, and also something I could take to the hospital in an emergency). Does anyone know of a decent reference book / site for this kind of info?

Thanks,
Tyler

bonerfortuna
06/07/2005, 01:54 PM
Im liking the fire extinguisher idea. I think ill do that after reading some of the scarier threads here. Thanks

tgunn
06/07/2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by bonerfortuna
Im liking the fire extinguisher idea. I think ill do that after reading some of the scarier threads here. Thanks

Yeah, I've read my share of horror stories of things bursting into flames...

I'd love to incorporate some kind of automatic fire suppression system in the fish room like fire sprinklers, but I've never been able to find info on installing them.

Tyler

tangwang
06/07/2005, 04:33 PM
You've probably already covered it, but a ground probe for the tank, and all electrical equipment running to GFCI's......

Matt

tgunn
06/07/2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by tangwang
You've probably already covered it, but a ground probe for the tank, and all electrical equipment running to GFCI's......
Matt

Yup, I've got 2 15 amp circuits to the fish room each with it's own GFCI,. Total of 6 outlets in the room, so plenty of room for plugging stuff in without a power bar.

No grounding probe as of yet, but probably a good idea...

Later,
Tyler

kenny77
06/08/2005, 12:05 AM
i have a digital camera, a case of beer, an used bandaid in case of any leek, sunglasses since the light is too intese for me and sunblock:beachbum: , some of this:smokin: and that:beer:

i think i cover everything. any suggestion?:crazy1:

TippyToeX
06/08/2005, 12:21 AM
Not really a safty item but you might need a wet/dry shop-vac handy one day. :D

kenny77
06/08/2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by TippyToeX
Not really a safty item but you might need a wet/dry shop-vac handy one day. :D

no. i'll use some band-aid. the ones water proof. :D

TippyToeX
06/08/2005, 12:46 AM
:D Guess I didn't read the first post well enough.

Shoulder length gloves!