PDA

View Full Version : coral spacing

cla337
06/07/2005, 12:23 PM
I read everywhere to space certain species a certain distance from eachother, however I keep seeing these beautiful tanks with all kinds of corals next to eachother. Why is that? Don't species multiply and spread around like polyps and ricordia? Do same species attack eachother?

jasper24
06/07/2005, 12:34 PM
I have wondered also. My tank is 5 months old and I have some GSP and Zoanthids that are on the move!

KDodds
06/07/2005, 12:50 PM
The tanks you see where corals are practically laying on top of one another are in one of two categories:

1) Meticulously maintained and observed to avoid any "coral wars".

OR

2) Destined to experience a multitude of problems down the line.

Look carefully at the tanks in question to determine which is which. If all of the specimens are "frags" or tiny colonies, there might be a good chance that it's #2. However, if the colonies are large and encrusting the rock they're growing on and have been established for years, then #1 would be a better guess. If you look at some long-term, highly successful tanks, tho, you'll see that they're mostly NOT crammed with dozens and dozens of species. I've done both "crammed" and "not crammed", and I can tell you from experience that the "not crammed" look of a few select species, allowed to grow into larger colonies, is a much nicer look, long term, and more "natural", and, most important of all, more enjoyable because it's MUCH easier to maintain. Excluding or constraining certain species of cnidarians also helps. For instance, some mushrooms can grow so quickly, they can take over everything. Keeping them confined to rocks that don't connect to the "main reef" is an easy way to keep them confined. But, you'll still have to pick off "stragglers" that release their hold to "spread" when the colonies get thick.

cla337
06/07/2005, 01:58 PM
So if I may reiterate what you're saying is that as a colony of a species matures to a certain size, the less likely that colony will attack the adjacent colony when they grow into eachother?

My deal is this, I have 2 frogspawns about the size of my palm, I just got an small colony of orange polyps, I have a short tentacle fungia, orange suncoral, I wanna add more colors of polyps and a ricordia. Is there something I need to watch in terms of placement of these? You think polyps are easy as buffer species to create a field between the more "swayey" species (frogspawn)?

KDodds
06/07/2005, 02:08 PM
Nope, what I'm saying is that the people who have truly HUGE pieces for YEARS and YEARS don't have them all crammed together. Those that are successful with "crammed" tanks spend a great deal of time making sure that the corals aren't attacking one another, and if they are, pruning them or moving them. There's no way around that unless you want one or the other to "win" and the other to "lose". In the case of "coral wars", losing almost always means dying.

With Frogspawns, which are Euphyllia sp., you'll notice they send out somewhat long (and potent) "sweepers". No other coral, or cnidarian in general, other than another Euphyllia (which don't seem to be harmed) should be placed within reach of those sweepers. That's the easy part, since LPS are so "visible" in their "attacks". Polyps and mushrooms, however, dominate by "overgrowing". If any are placed near other corals, they can overgrow them, killing them. Other mushrooms, particularly Rhodactis, will release mesenterial filaments routinely as a form of "warfare", but also in defense. Personally, I think the rule for allowing 6" between corals is a good one.

cla337
06/07/2005, 02:47 PM
Then basically you can have certain corals happily next to eachother, but you just have to watch to make sure they are OK together?

With this general rule of 6" between, there is still going to be a time when the coral out grows that 6" zone, I just have to cull the growth back at that point?

With orange polyps since they multiply like an army, when the growth approaches the arms reach of Frogspawn, do they just stop growing where each polyp gets stung...The whole colony doesnt get killed, does it.

cla337
06/07/2005, 02:47 PM
Also If I put 2 frogspawns together thats cool right?

KDodds
06/07/2005, 02:56 PM
You've got it. And yes, you can generally butt Euphyllias up against on another (Hammer, Torch, Frogspawn, etc.).

FLpatty
06/07/2005, 03:10 PM
I've heard that Devil's Hand gives off a toxin? My frogspawn wasn't doing too well seated above it but improved once I moved it to the other side of the 54 gal. tank. Occasionally I see something spurting from the DH. Is that the toxin?

KDodds
06/07/2005, 03:58 PM
The toxins exuded by Lobophytum, Sarcophyton, and Sinularia seem to be the most potent LPS inhibitors. You don't "see them", necessarily, but when the soft corals wax or expel zoox, you will see, usually, a defensive response (or an outright full closing) in your LPS. Again, usually. With heavy skimming and careful placement (so that currents move from LPS to Soft to overflow to skimmer), it's entirely possible for the LPS to NEVER respond to Softy toxins.