PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a Nilson Reactor?

WayneL333
06/07/2005, 11:13 AM
Hi all,

I’m trying to talk myself into buy a Nilson Reactor, but I don’t know if I really need one.

I have a Calcium Reactor running on my system and my pH drops down to about 7.80 at night. I have my pH controller shutting my CO2 off at 8.00, but it takes to about 3 or 4pm before my pH rises above 8.20 where my CO2 kicks back on.

My calcium is pretty consistent about 420-430 ppm. I’ve never seen it drop below 410. My coral growth is great. I have only one SPS (green slime - just to say I have one), but I mainly keep LPS’s, clams and Softies in my tank. I just think I need one because my pH drops so low. I’ve seen it at 7.78 a couple of times.

What do you guys think?

If you think I need one, what have you heard about this Nilson Reactor by MRC?

http://www.myreefcreations.com/nilsen.htm

TIA!

~ W

vanburen
06/07/2005, 02:44 PM
If the tank is doing well, and corals are growing, and you have a CaRX, I wouldn't bother.

DocG
06/07/2005, 03:01 PM
If you have a refugium try to do a reverse daylight schedule with it to prevent that big of a swing at night.

Don

KDodds
06/07/2005, 03:51 PM
I'm using the "Standard" in conjuction with a pH Controller and the MRC CR-6. My pH is unbelievably stable, never going below 8.21 or above 8.25, and never shutting off (that I know of) either reactor. I am also, however, running a reverse-lighted refugium. Alk sits at 2.86meq/L (Salifert) consistently and Ca is at 450ppm (Salifert). I dose nothing else. The CR-6 is running at 1 bubble/3 seconds, and dripping 60ml/minute. The Nilsen stirs 3x per day for one hour per stir and is running on a float switch to a Mxijet 1200 in a RO holding vat, with shut off valve. HTH.

WayneL333
06/07/2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks everyone for the input.

I do run a refugium, but I run the light 24x7. It's a 50 gallon with one 96w PC. I actually keep my pH probe in my Refugium because I figure the pH drops slower in there; which it does, but it still drops pretty low.

Thanks a lot KDodds, I think I may just do that setup too. I have the MRC-CR2. I would love to get my readings consistant like yours.

DocG
06/07/2005, 08:13 PM
Since the 24 hour thing isn't working then a Nilsen reactor is great for stabalizing pH.

I have a CR-2 as well and a Nilsen reactor in my setup and have very stable pH. It is almost always 8.1 and never goes under 8.0. My refugium is lit at the same time as my tank.

I don't have the MRC Nilson reactor and wish I did. I bought a cheaper one and it works fine but the quality isn't as good as my MRC products (I also have an MR-3 skimmer).

WayneL333
06/08/2005, 03:51 PM
OK, I just ordered my MRC Nilsen reactor. Which kalk do you guys use and recommend?

Thanks,

Wayne

oddballs
06/08/2005, 04:11 PM
if its not broken dont fix it!!!

WayneL333
06/08/2005, 05:21 PM
Yeah, but isn't it pretty bad when the pH drops that low - 7.78? What do you think is the lowest pH a reef system can run at?

DocG
06/08/2005, 05:43 PM
I use ESV kalk. I would use pickling lime but you can't get it here in Canada.

WayneL333
06/08/2005, 05:54 PM
DocG: Pickling Lime? Who makes it? Do you have a link?

Thanks,

~ WayneL333

DocG
06/08/2005, 06:47 PM
Pickling Lime is chemically identical to kalk and can be found at Wal-Mart. It is used for canning.

Mrs. Wages (http://www.canningpantry.com/pickling-lime.html)

WayneL333
06/08/2005, 08:10 PM
Really? Thanks. Why don't they sell it up in Cananda?

DocG
06/08/2005, 08:20 PM
Stupid Government:mad:

scooters reef
06/08/2005, 08:23 PM
You can get ESV but not Mrs. Wages when it's chemically the same? LOL, don't tell your government or they'll take the ESV away too to make sure nobody can make pickles :)

KDodds
06/08/2005, 08:52 PM
And people say South Park is inane... at least they've got Canada down. :P Mrs. Wage's is fine. It's food grade Calcium hydroxide. You MIGHT be able to find something "purer" from a laboratory supply, but, I'd find it pretty hard to swallow that all of the aquarium suppliers are packaging lab-grade Calcium hydroxide. IOW, it's the same thing, and just fine. Some people complain about Mrs. Wage's "caking". From my perspective, that would just go further toward proving, without actual testing, that no anti-caking agents or other "impurities" are used. If in doubt, tho, check with Randy Holmes-Farley in the Chem Forum.

WayneL333
06/09/2005, 12:13 AM
KDodds & DocG: I really appreciate the info you are providing me. A couple more questions.

How much Mrs. Wages are you putting into your Reactor?

KDodds: I bought a "Standard" also from MRC. How much Lime do you put in there and how often do you replenish it?

How do you guys dose. Kdodds, you mentioned you used a float switch. Doesn't that dose too quickly. I was under the impression you should drip the lime water in to prevent the pH from rising too quickly.

Lastly, KDodds, you wrote:

"The Nilsen stirs 3x per day for one hour per stir and is running on a float switch to a Mxijet 1200 in a RO holding vat, with shut off valve. HTH."

So that I understand your set up, your reactor is sitting in between your sump and R/O vat? Your maxijet is in your R/O vat and pumps water into your reactor - which in return is connected to your sump and doses via a float switch. Correct?

Thanks again.

KDodds
06/09/2005, 06:43 AM
I fill it to below the stirrer, I think it's about a pound. It's been running for about a month now and I haven't had to replenish at all. Rough guess is maybe I'll have to refill once every 3 months, judging by what's still left and the rate at which it is used.

If you use a valve to restrict the flow from the powerhead (just like you would at the effluent end of a Calcium Reactor) you can control the rate at which the Kalkwasser drips. However, depending on the size of your tank and flow rate, it may be just fine without any restriction. I don't restrict it, but keep in mind that I'm working with a 450 gallon tank. The effluent is dumping into a 180 gallon sump, through which there is approximately 5000gph flow. That's a lot of water dispersing things very quickly. Even when it's "topping off", pH doesn't budge and I don't get any precipitation.

You've got the connections correct.

DocG
06/09/2005, 08:51 AM
My setup is similar to KDodds but slightly different.

I have a freshwater resevoir that is gravity fed into the reactor which is then gravity fed into the sump. I use a mechanical float valve to control the amount that goes into the tank. A set up like this or KDodds shouldn't cause to much of a concern of a major pH spike. It will slowly add the kalk. For kalk to be really dangerous it needs to be added fairy rapidly for an extended period of time.

In my reactor I use about 2.5" of kalk on the bottom and it lasts me about 2-3 months. I have a timer set to stir the kalk for a minute at a time. Keep in mind my reactor is very different from KDodds - that is why there is such a difference in the mixing time. Mine is mixed with a recirculating maxijet 600 pump.

I would also add it to a high flow area of the sump and/or before the skimmer to help with safety issues.

Don

WayneL333
06/09/2005, 06:50 PM
You guys are the best!

KDodds, you wrote "If you use a valve to restrict the flow from the powerhead (just like you would at the effluent end of a Calcium Reactor) you can control the rate at which the Kalkwasser drips."

I haven't received my reactor yet, but does the kit include such a vavle? If not, can either one of you guys recommend one and where I can get it?

I think I do need a restrictor. My system is considerably smaller than both of yours. My entire system is about 200 gallons.

Many thanks,

~ W

KDodds
06/10/2005, 06:38 AM
You can get a John Guest Speed Fit Ball Valve from Home Depot, Lowe's, or just about any plumbing supply store. It doesn't come with one. If I recall correctly, you'll need to buy all of the tubing and connectors as well.

WayneL333
06/10/2005, 09:18 PM
Thanks KDodds for the valuable info. I will let you know how it turns out. I only hope I can repay the favor.

~ WayneL333

WayneL333
06/15/2005, 03:12 PM
KDodds, you wrote:

The Nilsen stirs 3x per day for one hour per stir and is running on a float switch to a Mxijet 1200 in a RO holding vat, with shut off valve. HTH.

I have a question. Does your pump in your R/O vat run constantly? If yes, does it need to? My logic is that the pump only needs to pump water into your reactor only when your float switch is on and has to refill the reactor chamber. Correct?

If it doesn't run constantly, how do you turn on the pump?

BTW, I got my Nilsen Reactor, but now I am thinking of how to integrate it in my system. My biggest fear with an auto-topper or dosing system is that they may malfunction or for any other reason they may run constantly, empty my R/O vat and drop the salinity in my tank dramatically. The only way I thought around this is to use a small R/O vat like a 5 gallon bucket.

One other concern I have is that I actually have a slow evaporation rate. I don't know the specific rate, but I know it is slow. If I use a float switch, I'm worried that it won't dose that much lime water into my system because of the slow evap rate. That is why I'm leaning to a dosing system/pump that will slowly drip lime water constantly into my tank keeping a constant pH and alk level. Can you recommend any?

Thanks again,

~ W

KDodds
06/15/2005, 11:09 PM
The pump plugs in to the float SWITCH. It's not a float valve, which is probably the confusion. When the water level drops, the float switch turns on the pump.

Whether you use the drip or a reactor, you can only dose as much as you can top off. If you dose more via a drip, your tank will eventually overflow. Drip methods are simple, any container will do, and an airline tube, that's all you need. FWIW, you can help to increase evaporation rates by blowing fans across the water and using a dehumidifier in the room in question.