PDA

View Full Version : Electronic or Magnetic for MH's and why?

Biscutz
06/07/2005, 10:04 AM
Hey guys/gals,

Right now I'm running 2X175 14K Hamiltons with an old magnetic ballast. I'm not sure whether or not if it's a pulse start but its got to be at least 8 years old. Now I know that magnetics will create more heat, god do i know this whew..., but is there a clear cut advantage to spending the money for the Electronics, lets say IceCap? I do have 2 separate 660 IceCaps that I run my actinics off of, just wondering if there is an advantage to upgrading my old MH setup. What I really want to here is that the elctronics will give you better color, or last longer, something along those lines, if its just a matter of heat, well I guess I'll stick with my oldies :D .

P.S. The reason for this question, I'm contemplating upgrading to 250W SE's.

Thanks.

pickle311
06/07/2005, 12:19 PM
less heat and energy efficient

BigDaddy
06/07/2005, 12:32 PM
The added heat equates to a higher electric bill. First for the wasted energy to produce the heat. And then the added expense of cooling your tank.

moonpod
06/07/2005, 12:56 PM
With SE bulbs, you run into the issues of probe and pulse start ballasts and bulbs, and even some "HQI" SE bulbs. This then creates issues with which bulbs will be most compatible with which ballast, and in fact some bulbs are hard to get to start on certain ballasts (not impossible, but there can be issues). Electronic obviates this.

69vette
06/07/2005, 01:21 PM
If you think that icecap ballasts will save enough electricity to pay for themselves, you're in for a big suprise. it'll take years, about 14 if I remember correctly, and chances are they won't last nearly that long. So don't base your decision on this point.

chevegan
06/07/2005, 02:15 PM
i use advanced ballasts magnetics and they take in 189w and can be used for either a 175w SE or 150w DE/HQI. Granted you lose up to 39 watts per but that's cheaper than a new ballast if your electronic one doesn't like probe or pulse. ice caps are great but it's not unheard of that electronics have some reliability issues. plus they're very expensive so i'm biased :)

Biscutz
06/07/2005, 03:26 PM
So, heat is the primary benefit, or lack there of. Can electronic ballasts work with all SE bulbs?

moonpod
06/07/2005, 03:28 PM
as a generality, eballasts will run ALL bulbs of the correct wattage. Other benefits, smaller profile, less heat and and noise from the ballast itself.

mag ballasts--cheap and indestructible for all intensive purposes. However you can run into bulb compatibility issues and they are larger, heavier, and hotter than electronic.

impur
06/07/2005, 05:56 PM
I use an ARO eballast 250w. I am 100% satisfied with this ballast. I never have to worry about compatibility issues if i decide to change bulbs, no hum, no worry about the ballast burning the place down, and more energy efficient.

Maybe it takes awhile for these to pay for themselves versus magnetic, but for the ease of use and peace of mind i have no problem paying the extra 40 bucks for an eballast.

Biscutz
06/07/2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, I think I may just go ahead with the electronics.

trmiv
06/07/2005, 08:42 PM
You might want to take a look at the EVC electronic ballast, the par numbers seem a bit better with that ballast than with the IceCap.

Scuba Dog
06/07/2005, 08:55 PM
Eballasts are lighter so you can save some money in shipping oposed to magnetics.. but then agen if the eballast gets wet its a goner.

Biscutz
06/07/2005, 08:56 PM
Scuba,
I found that out the hard way when I burned up both of my IC 660's when one of my hoses come loose. Apparently water doesn't mix well with electricity:D .