PDA

View Full Version : Acropora Bleaching

macman7010
06/07/2005, 10:03 AM
I have a gold blue tipped Acropora and it has started to bleach from the base up. The coral has been in my tank a little over a month, but just recently the one side of the base is becoming totally bleached.

I was wondering what I could do to get color back. I have the coral in an area of high water flow - the return line from my sump and power head converge where the coral sets ... I thought they liked lots of current but maybe this is too much?

My calcium is 500, and I supplement with Strot, Magnesium, and Iodine plus Kent's Essential Elements. I was wondering what could cause this. The tempature in the tank is aboiut 80 at night but peaks at 83 during daylight hours. Nitrite and Nitrate are 0, as well as ammonia, and ph is 8.3 .

I have the coral in a 50 gallon tank with 10 watts of lighting per gallon, 10000k and 7500 blue actinic. Any ideas?

dirtyreefer
06/07/2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by macman7010
I supplement with Strot, Magnesium, and Iodine plus Kent's Essential Elements.

First question is why are you adding this stuff? Second is do you test for these? Don't add anything you don't test for.

I was wondering what I could do to get color back. I have the coral in an area of high water flow - the return line from my sump and power head converge where the coral sets ... I thought they liked lots of current but maybe this is too much?

Depends on how much flow. SPS don't normally like to be put directly in front of a powerhead as it is too much for them. Indirect flow is better.

Sounds like STN, and if so it won't grow back. Would suggest to frag the parts that aren't dead.