PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to Orlando FLA for a while, where can I dive/snorkel a real reef?

ricka
06/07/2005, 12:29 AM
The title says it all.

I'm gonna be in central florida for a while, is there any good snorkeling/diving near by?

--Rick

tangwang
06/07/2005, 06:43 AM
Not in Central FL..... Best bet would be to take a trip to the Keys. The reefs and sanctuaryis down there. It's an all-day drive from Orlando.....

Matt

zoltetov
06/07/2005, 07:55 AM
I agree. Orlando isn't exactly known for their great barrier reef. :) Although, I've heard Sea World is nice. I've never been there though. If you're up for a little drive, check out John Pennecamp. (sp?) A lot of the keys are part of a national park, so, like all parks, don't touch nuttin. They got some beautiful stuff though.

raynist
06/07/2005, 08:18 AM
Try www.discoverycove.com

http://www.discoverycove.com/ex_featattract.aspx

I am going there next month. Kind of pricey though. The reef is artificial, but there are thousands of fish. The sharks are separated from the snokelers by glass.

--Ray

fishtech
06/07/2005, 11:22 AM
You might want to consider traveling to Sebastian Inlet, its about an hour drive from Orlando on the East coast. You can snorkel in the lagoon there and see some nice stuff.

Don't collect anything though, I think its still a designated state park.

ricka
06/07/2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks guys, these are some good suggestions. I'll check out Sebastian inlet.

How long of a drive is it down to the keys?

--Rick

raynist
06/07/2005, 12:07 PM
I used to live in Lakeland, I think it was 7-8 hours from there....

dvmsn
06/07/2005, 12:50 PM
You can surf too

Go29
06/07/2005, 01:18 PM
i am only 14 so i dont know if you would find it as fun, but i went to discocvery cove in orlando last october and boy was it an experience. They have a stingray lagoon where you get to walk agound with rays, then next to it is a huge pool like think with a sunken ship in the middle ( for looks). HTey have two little rocks formations with clowns, and then the pig pool thing you walk in to tell you get to a drop off, ( while you walk in there are fish swimming all over your feet) the drop og is 25 feet or more and you are surrounded with angels, tangs, damsels, 5 foort wide rays and a bunch of other thigs. THey also have a river you can float down, and float through a bird part where there are birds all arounf and some fly down to the water too. You will be sorry if you dont go there. Best thing to do in orlando. oo ya they also have dolphins, and you can swim with them.

tangwang
06/07/2005, 04:25 PM
Id say forget those places. You live on the West coast of the US, which is a full flight from the Florida Keys. Since you will be in Florida for awhile, go ahead and take the all day trip down to south Florida. It's not like you're going to get the chance to do it whenever you want, since you live so far away, right? there are quite a few protected reefs down there, which are state parks that allow snorkeling and diving. We also have some of the best fishing in the world in the Keys......

Matt

gjh289
06/07/2005, 04:39 PM
If you don't want to dive the 5+ hours to the keys there is good diving off of Palm Beach. I would always suggest the Keys, but when time doesn't allow the drive Palm Beach is your next best bet.

gillies
06/07/2005, 04:57 PM
Flights from Orlando to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale are cheap, cheap, cheap! Rent a car from there and drive to Tavernier Key. Dive through the shop there - you won't regret it!