PDA

View Full Version : Increased light and macro produces air bubbles?

babyblues71
06/06/2005, 10:05 PM
Just curious if anyone has experienced this and, if so, what is causing it. I recently upped the lighting over my pico reef a little bit (Although not in the refugium I have for it, which contains some macro and is on a reverse lighting cycle using a different light). Well, ever since I did the water that flows into the tank from the refugium seems to be shooting out an overabundance of air bubbles. Is this normal? Unless I have the whole photosynthesis gig backwards, my guess is the corals within the tank are increasing CO2 production because of the increased light and, therefore, the macro is trying to catch up and is actually producing massive amounts of oxygen via air bubbles? Or am I just whacked here? Because I have no idea what else could be causing it, since the bubbles are "coming from" the refugium. Nope, not cyano bubbles, but something else. (Thank GOD!)

Help?

Brent

Buster4900
06/06/2005, 10:58 PM
I noticed the same thing when I got my MH light. My freshwater tank with plants also produce the bubbles. Think it is oxygen bubbles from the photosynthesis??

manderx
06/06/2005, 11:28 PM
photosynthesis is producing oxygen faster than it can dissolve in the surrounding water, so it 'pearls'. that's all.

babyblues71
06/06/2005, 11:51 PM
Hmmmmm....if this is the case then I'm assuming once my Zoanthids grow to a larger amount and more oxygen is consumed then this bubble-spitting from the macros will subside because more oxygen from the water will be needed? Certainly this can't go on forever. During certain times it looks like someone is pouring champagne into my tank!

Brent

Frick-n-Frags
06/07/2005, 12:52 AM
On a bright day, SPS corals will also shed excess O2 and slime along with the macroalgae. Don't forget, they house algae too, so I doubt if your zoanthids would be sucking all the O2 out of the water either.