PDA

View Full Version : Macroalgaes OK for main tank?

kampkomfort
02/01/2002, 01:35 AM
I would like to place some macroalgaes in my main display tank for nutrient export/decorative purposes (I'm probably crazy, but I think they are nice looking). I have a sumpless, refugium-less 55 gallon FOWLR with a damsel, two false percs, a lawnmower blenny, and the cleanup crew.

Any suggestions? Also, what are the macros in this tank?

Thanks,
k

iloveinn
02/01/2002, 01:41 AM
sure, but your lawnmower might be muching on them. the reason ppl put their macros in the sump/refugurium is to prevent "predation" by herbivores like tangs, etc.

ChrisIsBored
02/01/2002, 01:52 AM
You're not crazy at all! There's nothing wrong with having macro's in your main tank. The purpose of keeping them in the refugium though is of course for nutrient export, but also as iloveinn mentioned, to keep your fish from munching on them all.

As for what type of macro that is in the pic... I have no idea but i'm interested as well... it looks nice the way they have it setup.

kampkomfort
02/01/2002, 02:20 AM
Thanks for the replies! My lawnmower blenny is actually living off of flake food (he loves it...won't touch hair algae, though). He might not bother the macros, but then again...

I might give it a try anyway, and if he begins to "mow" it, I might just set up a refugium. I just want to see how it would look in the main tank.

Is there a website where I can see pictures and descriptions of the different macros suitable for aquaria? Most of the info I've gathered from a forum search has been rather vague.

Thanks again!

-k

Orm Embar
02/01/2002, 02:25 AM
I'd think that any macroalgae would be fine with a lawnmower blenny, as IME they don't go after any macroalgae, including Caulerpa. Then again, mine didn't go after hair algae, either . . . :p

Grandis
02/01/2002, 03:16 AM
I'm interested in any pics and tips of tanks containing macro algae. It is beautiful and needs some special care too, I believe. Some algae, like some Caulerpa sp., are hard to keep in check and/or to deal with the reproductive cycle. Some other algae will be hard to keep because of the necessity of water movement in the tank. Most of them need attention to the temperature issue. Well, it is a very nice topic to discuss learn here. It is sad not to have some of the most beautiful marine algae available to the salt water hobbyist. Anyone with some knowledge on them?
Grandis.

Shia
02/01/2002, 04:31 AM
your tank looks awesome

mrbast74
02/01/2002, 04:40 AM
I think another reason you don't see it in alot of tanks is that you don't see it alot on the reefs. It may be thought of as a little unatural looking.

Just a guess though.

Staceon
02/01/2002, 10:14 AM
I would not do it. The only reason I say this because I have, about 3 years ago. Its been a bi-weekly, or massive monthly prunning session every since. The macros will grow out of the boundaries you set up for them, that is almost certain. They are also difficult to prune(they hold to the LR well). If you dont mind a thiny stocked tank as far as corals go you should be fine. But dont think you can place a coral 6 inches a away from the macros and simply prune around them as both the macros and the coral grow. Not unless you are bonsi gardner, that plan will not work.

A fuge is a much easier place to do this. They cant grow crazy and prunning is much easier(just yank a handfull out). Never again will I let macros grow in the display.

hiddendragonet
02/01/2002, 11:02 AM
I think you could put some calcareous macros. Some shelving or pinecone algae look very cool.

I've never tried it, but I wouldn't think it'd be too hard to snip off a pinecone here and there. I bet you could even sell them to LFS.

Hey, know what? If anyone out there has some pinecone they would like to give me, I'll pay shipping!

kevinpo
02/01/2002, 11:24 AM
One of my favorite is the Calcareous algae halimeda. It is bright green and grows fairly slow. I pull some out (couple of handfulls) about once every 2 months or so. It is bright green and nothing I've seen eats it. I've never bought it as it appears on the liverock. I always get comments on from reefers and nonreefers alike.

HTH,
Kevin

kevinpo
02/01/2002, 11:25 AM
Here's another shot of it.....

Kevin

Leopardshark
02/01/2002, 12:00 PM
The reason people doesn´t add macroalgae to there display tanks is because macroalgae will outgrow all corals, they become a nuisance because it is almost impossible to get rid of them once there established.
That´s why we all keep them on the sump or ref.
I don´t care if they grow like weeds on the ref because i just take a hand full of them and throw them to the garbage.
HTH

Poor Man
02/01/2002, 12:16 PM
I really agree with Leopardshark. I've done it, and have some in both my display and refugium now. But it's a pain to get rid of, and it will move to areas where you might not want it to be.

Sort of like xenia :smokin:

Grandis
02/01/2002, 12:30 PM
I wouldn't have the algae with corals... was tanking about keep them, but not with corals... I would call the tank an "algae-only tank".
Grandis.

vanguard
02/01/2002, 12:30 PM
First, your tank looks awesome. You've inspired me to clean up mine.

I put a macro (grape caulerpa) in my main tank so that my yellow tang would have something to eat. It worked great for a few months but now it has taken over the tank.

I prune and prune but I haven't scrubbed the rock clean. I have this false hope that I remove 90% of it the tang will take care of the rest. That sucker doesn't. He's a farmer at heart and he grows far more than he needs.

I'm thinking of adding a long spined urchin to the battle. I'll start up my own thread on the topic.

Fasciatus
02/01/2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Leopardshark
The reason people doesn´t add macroalgae to there display tanks is because macroalgae will outgrow all corals, they become a nuisance because it is almost impossible to get rid of them once there established. ..

I second that.

A couple of years ago I was advised by Brian of Atlantis Aquatics, "No macro-algae in the main tank."

Well, I thought, this little piece of feathery caulerpa can't hurt anything... was I WRONG !!!!! I eventually had to break the tank down because I couldn't keep it in check. And it keeps coming back. :eek:

Now it seems that you have the space in your 55 for a drop-in hanging refugium, like the kind that Inland Aquatics makes. HAve you considered that alternative?

kampkomfort
02/01/2002, 03:17 PM
Whoops....

I didn't intend to mislead anybody...that pic is NOT my tank! I'm not that fortunate. It is beautiful, IMO. I got that pic from the "Japanese tanks...(revived)" thread a few weeks ago. It's worth a look if you are into the "clean" look of these tanks. It's not for everybody, but I like it.

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like certain types (like grape caulerpa) will grow to quickly to manage effectively if they get out of control. Does anyone know where I could find some halimeda? I like the look of it. Would anyone like to sell some?

Any other ideas?

Thanks again,
k

Angel*Fish
02/01/2002, 03:49 PM
kampkomfort, there must be some kind of macro that is gorgeous but slower growing as the pinecone mentioned above - I have some gracilaria in my tank that is gorgeous also some that I think is a red dictyota(sp?)
It is true that you cannot control where they may decide to grow in the tank -- but to me that's part of the fun - unless we're talking about that pesky bryopsis - if you get that KILL IT!!!!!!!!:eek1:

At first you think, oh that's kinda pretty and it doesn't seem to grow that fast... then ------ the next thing you know it's everywhere and it's all you can do to keep it from moving from the aquarium rocks to your sofa.

I wouldn't recommend any calerpa for your main tank - it will be a lot of trouble IMO.

Dragonlady
02/01/2002, 05:06 PM
Halimedia and Caulerpa serrulata(razor caulerpa) are easily controlled in a reef tank with pruning as necessary. If your tank is too deep to reach to the bottom of the tank(to prune it), it could become a problem shading corals. BTW, in 4 years, neither macroalgae have caused any problems in my reef tank. The key to keeping macroalgae from potentially overgrowing corals is to prune it when it starts to grow too close to them. IMO, a reef tank appears more balanced with at least a hint of plant-like macroalgae.

steph30
02/01/2002, 05:19 PM
While I do agree that macro looks good in a reef tank, IMO it's a mistake. It's just too hard to control. It tends to be like xenia and take over. I say this as I'm fixing to take literally handfulls of xenia from my tank tonight.

I do currently have spaghetti macro in my display tank. It's stuffed behind the back rocks and I can't see it. About twice a month I throw away half of it. It's so easy because it doesn't attach to anything. The only reason I even considered this is that this macro is great for nutrient export. This would be one of the few macros I would recommend for the display tank.

Stephanie

Angel*Fish
02/01/2002, 05:31 PM
IMO, a reef tank appears more balanced with at least a hint of plant-like macroalgae.

Me too! And prettier, the green are very nice as well as the purples and reds!

chromis
02/01/2002, 05:38 PM
that is not macro algae in that japanese tank, it is sea grass which has very different requirements than macros.

HTH
Andrew

Grandis
02/01/2002, 06:34 PM
On the rocks, right side and up I think they are probably Caulerpa. The bottom are the sea grass. There is a green thing on the rocks, left side. I think is an anemone. :)
Grandis.