PDA

View Full Version : Help me identify these Crabs please

PopeyeGirl
06/06/2005, 03:08 PM
Hello all, i was hoping someone can help. I work in an Aquarium Store, and recently two little girls brought me some saltwater crabs in a soda cup. They had caught them on the beach, which is pretty far from where we are in California, and didnt realize that they knew NOTHING about them, such is the case with many people who irresponsibly catch sea creatures. I know they are natives, but i have no idea what species they are, how large they will get, etc. I took them in to keep them from a short demise. One is dark dark brown, with yellow tips on the ends of its legs, and violet spots on its claws. The other is a creamy green color, with very very faint striping on its back. Both are the size and shape of an Emerald Crab, but i know they couldnt be. Anyone know what they could be? Or how large they may get?

aquaman67
06/06/2005, 10:01 PM
[welcome]

Don't know about your crabs, but here's a bump.

xdusty6920
06/06/2005, 11:17 PM
impossible to tell. there hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of species of crabs. its an extremely large family lol. id either release them back into the ocean or put them in a peaceful fish only with live rock (fowlr) and keep an eye on them. hope that helps and welcome to reefcentral

crpeck
06/07/2005, 12:25 AM
Here is a link for lots of crab info. Be sure and check the related FAQ links at the top of the page for more.

Salltwater Crabs (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/arthropoda/crabs/swcrabs.htm)