PDA

View Full Version : Canopy fans

Chrisrush
06/06/2005, 02:12 PM
Couldn't get much response in the Lighting forum so I thought I would try here instead.

I need 2 92mm fans for my canopy. I looked on ebay and found these.

Would these fans work and would they be fairly quiet. Also, does the temp sensor work like the ice cap variable fans?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6775352547&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks,
CR

PrivateJoker64
06/06/2005, 04:45 PM
They should work. Just get a "wall wart" or two to run them. The temp sensor will run them at top speed all the time if it is too near the bulbs. Placement of it will be trial and error I expect.
My fans are rated at 21 dB and they are quiter than the water flowing through my plumbing.

Chrisrush
06/07/2005, 07:36 AM
Thanks PJ. I've got a wall wart that I was planning on using. Is there any special way to hook them up, i.e. black/white wire to the adapter and the 3rd wire is the temp sensor? Can the temp sensor be submerged if coated, i.e. placed in a test tube and siliconed? Also, how do you set the temp in these fans?

Chris

bad coffee
06/07/2005, 08:20 AM
I ordered my fans from Newegg.com They show you airflow as well as dB rating. I have enerflows. The tep sensor on them is just a separate wire with a thermistor on it. So All I had to do is wire the + & - to the wall wart. My wall wart has a polarity switch, and a voltage switch. I can switch directions of the fan, and I turned the voltage down to 9v and you can't hear if the fan is running or not.

That ebay auction is $8 + 7 shipping. that's $15

Newegg has a Vantec
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999603
quantity prices and shipping.

BC

Chrisrush
06/07/2005, 09:11 AM
Thanks bc. I'll check that fan out. Where did you get that wall wart with the polarity and voltage switches? Sounds pretty nice.

PrivateJoker64
06/14/2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Chrisrush
Thanks PJ. I've got a wall wart that I was planning on using. Is there any special way to hook them up, i.e. black/white wire to the adapter and the 3rd wire is the temp sensor? Can the temp sensor be submerged if coated, i.e. placed in a test tube and siliconed? Also, how do you set the temp in these fans?

Chris

On the ones I have, the positive goes to the black wire on the fan. Wire it backwards and the fan won't run.

slipknottin
06/14/2005, 10:54 PM
The Db ratings are usually rubbish. They are not rated under the same standards, so measurments vary greatly bewteen manufacturers. The same can be said for the CFM, though usually to a lesser extent.

Vantec stealth fans are nowhere near quiet. Undervolted to 5 volts they are ~25Db. Still pretty loud.