PDA

View Full Version : Clown Fish Help

Micki
06/06/2005, 12:29 PM
In Feb. I upgraded from a 55 and 20 to a 125. I had 2 false percs in each tank. I added all 4 to the 125. They have gotten along great for the past 2 1/2 months. For no reason 3 have started picking on the 4th to the point of almost stressing it to death. I moved him to the fuge for 1 day where I have a GBTA. He seemed very happy. The problem is, in the fuge, I leave the light on 24/7. I don't think this is good for the clown. So, last night after the lights were out, I put the clown back in the main tank. Sure enough, today the other 3 are picking on him again. Any reason why this would happen?

Puffers
06/06/2005, 12:54 PM
Are they tank raised or wild? Is the one that is getting picked on the smallest of the 4? Is the temperature of the current tank higher than the tanks before? Were the clown’s "pairs" in separate tanks before this one?

Micki
06/06/2005, 01:09 PM
I don't know if they were tank raised or wild, I get them from a LFS a long time ago.

The one getting picked on is about the same size as one of the other ones.

They were moved to this tank 2 1/2 months ago, the temperature is not a factor.

While the clowns were 2 in each tank I don't think they were "mated" pairs. So, yes this clown was a "pair" with another clown.

Micki
06/06/2005, 01:56 PM
^

twm01
06/06/2005, 02:33 PM
how much you know about clowns, so forgive me if this is info you already know, but clowns are what is called "protandrous hermaphrodites". When you get them young, they are sexually immature, and what happens when you pair them in a tank is the more dominant of the two will become female, and the other will become a male, thereby creating a mated pair. So if they were old enough and had been together long enough, then you have two mated pairs, one in each tank.

I cannot imagine whether it is the least dominant male or female that is getting picked on, but I doubt you will be able to keep them together. You can keep a group if they are all sexually immature, I think, with the most dominant becoming female, the next most dominant becomes male, and the rest stay sexually immature unless something happens to one of the other two.

Check out the following info on clowns:

link (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=282136)
especially the one on 'sexing clownfish'.

Again, if you already know all this, my apologies, but I just wanted to give my thoughts on why they were fighting.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

twm01
06/06/2005, 02:38 PM
from that FAQ list is called "Keeping clownfish: multiple clowns and mixing species", link here (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=245520)

Good luck!

Micki
06/06/2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the info, I knew most of everything I read. I had hoped that each "set" would pair up and live on opposite sided of the tank. I am really surprised that three went together forcing the fourth out. I guess time will tell if the three will live together or not.