PDA

View Full Version : HOB Poll - Remora Pro vs. New Coralife Needlewheel Skimmer

dirtyreefer
06/06/2005, 11:04 AM
Since the Remora Pro has arguably been called the best HOB skimmer for cost and quality etc, I would like to know how it stacks up against the new Coralife skimmer since these are close to the same price.

I know that the Coralife uses the needlewheel technology (similar to ER and ASM), however I'm sure it obviously won't perform the same. But I would like to know if it's better than the Remora Pro.

giants4pc
06/06/2005, 11:16 AM
i can only speak about my remora pro. it works really well and always collects gunk. Many advise to change the rio pump but i haven't even done that and it works great. thumbs up for me

sjm817
06/06/2005, 12:14 PM
From what I've seen in the threads posted around here, the CSS is quite a bit better than a Remora Pro.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/59905apr20.jpg

KDodds
06/06/2005, 12:25 PM
IME, for the money, you can't beat the Won Bros., but the pump used to run it is a little large for an HOB in-tank. It works very nicely as an HOB on a sump, tho, even a 10gal, which the AquaC is too tall to work on.

KDodds
06/06/2005, 12:25 PM
IME, for the money, you can't beat the Won Bros., but the pump used to run it is a little large for an HOB in-tank. It works very nicely as an HOB on a sump, tho, even a 10gal, which the AquaC is too tall to work on.

dirtyreefer
06/06/2005, 10:55 PM
Seems like a few votes for the Remora, can you post why you chose the RP over the Coralife?

nossalucard
06/28/2005, 12:16 PM
I have used both and the remora pro is nowhere near as consistant as the CSS125 unit that I am using. In addition the Remora pro is extremely loud in comparison, with a constant hissing sound, whereas the CSS is deadly silent, at least on my tank with the exit tube PVC mod. Add in the cost savings and what you have is a superior design (round reaction chamber, with tapered riser tube). For instance, I never EVER got skimate of this quality from my remora pro.....and this is every 2 days in a 29gal with 3 small fish (hawkfish, lawnmower blenny, royal gramma, and 35 pounds live rock only, no corals yet)

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/nossalucard/794f21fd.jpg

sarahdae
03/21/2006, 01:22 AM
I am really not impressed with my remora pro. It does not skim consistently, and I maybe get 1/2 inch of gunk in the bottom of it per week. I bought a CSS to replace it, but found the CSS 125 to be HUGE compared to the remora, and if it is used as a HOB, the tank has to be moved out further from the wall (like 8 inches), and I just did not want to deal with it.
I have also heard of the CSS overflowing the collection cup, but never had that happen with the remora pro because if it goes crazy and fills up with water, the excess will just fall back down in the riser neck, not out onto the floor.
Not sure if this is the case with the CSS.
I may try the CSS, or maybe the deltec MCE 600 which is also slim like the remora, but uses a needlewheel pump like the CSS.
Too bad the deltec is over 400 bucks. Ouch.

masterswimmer
03/21/2006, 01:30 AM
My CSS 65 is running like a champ.......after 4 or 5 mods, lol. But it does produce great skimmate.

master

ste6168
03/21/2006, 01:49 AM
ive got the CSS 125 on my 75g and it skims very well, i would say it skims circles around the remora pro, but i have never owned one. I dont understand either, this thread seems like everyone is for the CSS skimmers but the poll shows the complete opposite, c'mon CSS users vote and stick up for yourselves.

edit- well i just tried to vote and for some reason i cant, sorry

HBtank
03/21/2006, 03:07 AM
css is awesome, here's half a days load from yesterday:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/Mikecdj/Skimmate.jpg

its a 220 on my 55 and that cup is very big.

PiePuncher
03/21/2006, 02:20 PM
I know a few people that have had the CSS overflow all over their floors! It happens and the adjustment knob is very sensitive. The CSS is an awesome skimmer and I thought about buying one many times, only to say no because I have seen what has happened to my friends wooden floors...yikes.... I do like the gunk that the CSS pulls out.
The remora is also awesome and it does make a little noise but not enough to be heard IMO. As far as it not being as good as the CSS, I am not quite so sure on that. I have seen some Remoras pull out all kinds of junk and some not so much but then again, that could be because of the tanks and the bio-load. I have seen the same with the CSS. An LFS in the area runs the CSS and they all get different results. I love my Remora and it pulls like a champ, I love it so much, I just got a second one..
I think you cant go wrong with either. I have a few friends that have the CSS and they are happy and then I have a few friends that have the remora and are happy too. I own a remora and I wouldnt trade it for a CSS but I wouldn't mind owning either or both. Take your pick, you cant go wrong either. I think you would save yourself a few headaches by going with the remora but both skimmers will work like a champ for you!

masterswimmer
03/21/2006, 02:30 PM
With the modifications that I've done, there are no floods.......period. I drilled my collection cup and tapped a ball valve into it leading to a much larger collection container. I devised a new discharge for it, so no microbubbles. I've spoken to the Coralife design team and they like the mods I've done.

The ONLY drawback now is that there is no surface skimmer for it. But I'm working on that one now too.

Russ

CJonesAU
03/21/2006, 02:47 PM
CSS works great

ste6168
03/21/2006, 03:13 PM
ive said it once this post and ill say it again, i LOVE my CSS125

Zach117
03/21/2006, 03:17 PM
A lot of people choose one skimmer over the other because of the plug and play features. Why is the coralife cheaper? because you have to make all these mods to it so it functions properly. I second the notion that it all depends on a tanks bioload and no one can completely judge the performance difference unless they use both skimemrs on the same tank. And yes, I did just buy a remora. With that being said, I am the type of person that likes to buy a product that works right away, and I want to know I'm not going to have a headache trying to tweak it when something goes wrong.

PatrickJ
03/21/2006, 03:34 PM
Corallife skimmers are difficult. You always got to dial them in. We got two at are work and they are always under skimming or over skimming. Never the same skim mate. Its either super dark (takes forever!) or really clear.

I do not recommend them. Look for something else.

rbp 4 135
03/21/2006, 03:59 PM
i have a css 220 on my 75, i just added some lr, only 25 lbs the other day and already it has pulled out about half a cup of dark nasy skimmate.

lgoins
03/21/2006, 05:16 PM
My CCS65 runs on my 29 gallon tank with NO MODS. Although the pump is a bit bulky for the tank, the quality of the skimmate is amazing for a barebottom tank with only two fish in it.
As long as you have a floatswitch on the tank, the CSS will work consistently, but varying water levels would logically affect the production of the skimmer.
-And I have no surface scum after I switched to the CSS 65.
Other than the size of the pump I give it two thumbs up.