PDA

View Full Version : Quick Heater Question

goldscarf
06/06/2005, 09:05 AM
Hi all, I just purchased a brand new filtration system from Life Reef and the heaters that I used in the past 2 250w Ebo's don't fit into the sump. I have a 90 gallon reef tank.

1. Will 2 150w Ebo's be enough to keep the thing heated properly?
2. Is their a better heater than Ebo's

Thanks!

Avi
06/06/2005, 09:36 AM
Take a look at the titanium heaters and you can just lay it down in the sump. This is the brand I have and it's been very reliable for over a year now:

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_heaters_won_brothers_pro-heat_titanium.asp?CartId=

thrlride
06/06/2005, 09:39 AM
I have the same heater that Avi mentioned. Do your research, I've seen a lot of posts about that heater burning up.

Funny, all those posts that I've read, I still use it...

I'd avoid the digital versions though.

sulp
06/06/2005, 01:47 PM
I have the Pro-Heat Titanium heater and it works great. You can jam it anywhere with no fear of it breaking. One thing I dont really like about it is the thermostat controller by the plug. The dial to control the temp moves very easily. I mean super, super easy. I taped the dial down at the desired temp and I hope this will eliminate any problems. Other then that, I love the heater.

I would say that 2 150w heaters (300w total) would not be enough to heat a 90g tank with a sump. How big is you're sump anyway? A good rule of thumb is (I think) 4-5 watts per gallon. That being the case then you would need between 360-450 watts of heater to heat the tank only. Obviously if you have a large sump the amount of watts needed would increase.