PDA

View Full Version : Creating overhand using old bulkhead

crrichey
06/06/2005, 04:11 AM
I have a 30 gal freshwater aquarium that I would like to use as a sps tank. I'd like to have 2 bulkheads in opposite ends of the aquarium. Right now it has a single bulkhead directly in the middle. It isn't hard to simply glue a piece of acrylic over the hole, however, I think that would be a bit unsightly. It is fairly close to the surface. I was thinking of using the current bulkhead as a holder for a piece of pvc (the end inside the aquarium would be capped to keep it from draining the aquarium, seems obvious). The pvc would help support some liverock and create a very attractive overhang. What do you guys think? Here is a diagram. The pvc itself would have to have additional support from somewhere else, the bulkhead alone couldn't be expected to support liverock by itself, it could cause warping and structual failure.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/FLCL787/Doc1.bmp

RicksReefs
06/06/2005, 08:47 AM
i wouldn't use a bulkhead to hold up live rock like that, the wieght
may put lateral pressure on the glass, breaking it. i know i've
broken 4 10 gallon tanks in the last 4 months from just brushing
up against the standpipe while algae scrubbing. granted the tank
is much thinner, but the concept is the same.

albinooscar
06/06/2005, 10:04 AM
I'm with Rick on this one.

Take a look at the image below. The red arrows indicate the direction of the forces you would be putting on the PVC and the blue arrows indicate the forces (but not exactly) you would be putting on the glass. It would be twisting the glass when you put the rock on the PVC. Maybe 1/2 lb would be ok but not 10 lbs.

Ron
http://reefparagon.com/Images/Untitled-1.jpg

crrichey
06/06/2005, 02:46 PM
The pvc itself would have to have additional support from somewhere else, the bulkhead alone couldn't be expected to support liverock by itself, it could cause warping and structual failure.

Yes, I already noted that that would be a problem. Also, the tank is acrylic if anyone had any question about that. The question is what ELSE could I do to help support the pvc? Maybe that wasn't very clear to begin with, if so my bad ;)

albinooscar
08/25/2005, 05:15 PM
Did you ever do anything with this?

Ron