PDA

View Full Version : does kenya tree come in different color?

dzhuo
06/06/2005, 12:14 AM
all kenya tree i have seen is brown. do they come in different color? i am looking for a tree-like coral that's green or red.

thanks!

Maxxumless
06/06/2005, 12:55 AM
Nope, they are pretty much all shades of brown though their polyps can sometimes come in greens, but those are more rare (as far as Kenya’s go). Tree corals is really a catchall for various types of soft corals such as Dendronephthya (Carnation Corals for example) which come in a dizzying array of beautiful colors but are often very difficult to keep.

ReefGeekster
06/06/2005, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by dzhuo
all kenya tree i have seen is brown. do they come in different color? i am looking for a tree-like coral that's green or red.

thanks!

http://www.phishybusiness.com/softpack.php

I have the Palau and Bali Sinularia from this place and it's close to a Kenya tree or tree like coral, and can be easily the centerpiece of any tank. They grow well and easy to propagate. Both are neon green Bali has fuzzier poylps. Click on the pics for larger view.

cyberpanther
06/06/2005, 02:45 AM
I have a deep purple kenya (not brown in the least bit totally purple), and a huge, vibrant neon green nepthea. I see a lot of brown kenyas around too but other colors are definitely out there. If you are having trouble finding a different color Kenya you might want to consider a neon green nepthea from www.atlantisaquarium.net or www.reefermadness.us both have them in stock right now and they look almost identical to a Kenya just thinner branching. Just a thought.

xnikki118x
06/06/2005, 03:09 AM
I have what I always thought was a Kenya tree, and it's a pretty color of purple. I highly doubt it's any of those hard-to-keep species, as I only have a 29-gallon with PC lighting, no sump, no fuge, no skimmer. :eek2: Everything I have does well, but I wouldn't be stupid enough to try anything that required either a great deal of light or absolute pristine water conditions.

Anyway, what I'm talking about is on the right side of this pic, on top of the rock. Maybe it's not a Kenya tree?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/xnikki118x/frontclose.jpg

dhoch
06/06/2005, 04:14 AM
I have the neon-green nepthea that cyber panther describes... doing well and growing great in my tank...

It's really a very flourscent green color.

Dave

dzhuo
06/06/2005, 01:46 PM
ReefGeekster,
do you have a better picture? the pictures from phishy is a little poor.

cyberpanther,
i can't find neon green nepthea from the source you list.

anyone has better picture of non-brown kenya tree? thanks!

dhoch
06/06/2005, 02:07 PM
Again... This is not a kenya tree, but is a "neon-green nepthea"

In the following picture look towards the LHS under the xenia and you will see my "neon-green nepthea"... It's obviously different from the Kenya trees towards the right and the bottom of the same picture (just to the left of the bright yellow/white mushroom leather).

I don't have a closeup but if you are interested I could take one tonight.... Just let me know.

Dave

http://www.danj.com/images/misc/lhs.jpg

dzhuo
06/06/2005, 02:16 PM
beautiful tank man! yes i am interested in having a close up pic. can you take one? thanks! so neon-green nepthea is easy to care for like kenya tree as well? i have a 10G with 96W of PC. lighting wise, is that enought? also, i have a fairly strong current (40x) , are they going to be ok?

Mariner
06/06/2005, 02:25 PM
My Kenya tree might be described as brown by some, but I like to see it as mauve with rose colored polyps ;)
Here's a pic.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/stevexpnt/kenyatree6-6-05.jpg
And here's my Green "bali" sinularia, which I think is one of the most eye catching corals period.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/stevexpnt/greensinularia6-4-05.jpg
FWIW,
Mariner

xnikki118x
06/06/2005, 02:27 PM
dzhuo, don't quote me, but I bet you could keep SPS in that small of a tank with that much lighting!!

Anyone know anything about the purple tree/eather thing in my pic I posted earlier? I always thought it was a Kenya tree, but it's definitely not brown...

dzhuo
06/06/2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by xnikki118x
dzhuo, don't quote me, but I bet you could keep SPS in that small of a tank with that much lighting!!

Anyone know anything about the purple tree/eather thing in my pic I posted earlier? I always thought it was a Kenya tree, but it's definitely not brown...

no, i am going to quote you on this! haha :) actually i already have monti which is doing pretty well. the biggest thing (for me) is to keep alk/cal stable. you won't believe how much alk/cal are used up in such a small tank. for example, if i don't add any alk supplement, it will drop from 10.4dkh to 8.2dkh in a single day. so far, i am pretty good at maintaining alk/cal/pH so things are ok. also, i seriously don't think dripping kalk in such a small tank has any benefical effect on alk or cal. i have been dripping for a few months and it never help maintain either alk or cal. the only positive thing about dripping kalk in such a small tank is that it seems to somehow make the pH constant.

the green kenya tree is so beautiful! is that how it looks all day? does it open bigger? like more leaf in a tree? thanks!

thrlride
06/06/2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Mariner
My Kenya tree might be described as brown by some, but I like to see it as mauve with rose colored polyps ;)
Here's a pic.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/stevexpnt/kenyatree6-6-05.jpg
And here's my Green "bali" sinularia, which I think is one of the most eye catching corals period.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/stevexpnt/greensinularia6-4-05.jpg
FWIW,
Mariner

Thanks Mariner! Now I know my football sized colony is a sinularia!

My kenya coral looks identical to yours as well.

ReefGeekster
06/06/2005, 08:46 PM
ReefGeekster,
do you have a better picture? the pictures from phishy is a little poor.

cyberpanther,
i can't find neon green nepthea from the source you list.

anyone has better picture of non-brown Kenya tree? thanks! http://phishybusiness.com/images/corals/Softpack1.jpg

This is the Palau, as shown in the earlier post(s) is the Bali which has fuzzier polyps.

MHannon
06/06/2005, 09:22 PM
I have a bright pink/red kenya tree I picked up at the LFS for $10.

dzhuo
06/07/2005, 12:00 AM
hmm, are those Palau or Bali always look like that? i mean do the polyps open bigger? the polyps of the kenya tree are a lot more bushy like. Palau and Bali are definitely tree like but they are more like tree without leaf if they can't open bigger. i don't know, maybe it's just me and i am being picky. the color is perfect, though.

cyberpanther
06/07/2005, 12:06 AM
The one I have the polyps open much, much larger. I have no idea if it is normal or not though. Also if you are still having trouble finding the coral I mentioned at reefermadness its under the aqua-cultured section. Atlantis Still shows them too, under their softies. It would appear the one in the picture above is just retracted due to his hand touching it, but I don't know.

nellie54914
06/07/2005, 12:31 AM
I have a small green capnella, I got it as a frag a couple months ago from a member of our reef club, hers is really big. I don't have any pictures of mine cuz my camera sucks, but she has 1 in her gallery. Do a search on kass03. She might be willing to sell you a frag or something. It looks a lot more green when the polyps are closed up on it, and it grows really fast! I also got a frag of a brown and a blue capnella from her and those have barely grown, but the green has just sprouted up! I haven't really heard of them that color, but now several of us in our club have them cuz we got frags from her.

dzhuo
06/07/2005, 01:16 AM
nellie54914,
is this the picture you are talking about:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=102518&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

that's looks really good. they are easy coral and lives happily under PC (96W in 10G)?

cyberpanther,
thanks for pointing that out. i found the Neon Nepthya in reefmadness but it's more expensive than i can afford. the price is $75 plus shipping, i think it will be close to $100. i don't have that much money. :( i still can't find the one you mention from Atlantis Aquarium.

thanks!

cyberpanther
06/07/2005, 01:31 AM
WOW!!! I didn't realize they wanted $79 for one!!! I only paid around $40 about a year ago from my LFS and that was for a larger sized colony. It grew super quick, and now is gigantic, and even more green now for some reason. That is a lot but it actually does include shipping with reefermadness. They have free shipping (plus $10 box charge) for anything over $75. Still a lot though. I know some places in Ohio who have them cheap, and they ship, BUT they will absolutely kill you on shipping (it would end up being even more than reefermadness). And just a little side note, I would NOT pay $79 plus $10 box fee for that small one at reefermadness either. Thats outrageous. Have you checked www.drmaccorals.com ? They normally have some of these as well (I haven't checked though). There prices sometimes are ok, but again their shipping is outrageous too. In fact I received an order from Dr Mac's about 3 weeks to a month ago that had Saturday delivery (which does of course cost them extra too) but it still came to almost $90 for shipping 5 small and medium size corals to Ohio. That is by far the most expensive shipping I have ever been charged. But again they do have nice corals.

Mariner
06/07/2005, 03:20 AM
dzhuo,
You're right about the bali and palua (sinularia sp.) not being as bushy as the kenya tree (capnella). I did a google image search for "capnella" and found pics of several colors of capnella.
Try it, you'll like it! ;)
Mariner

nellie54914
06/07/2005, 12:44 PM
yep, that's the one i'm talking about

dzhuo
06/07/2005, 02:16 PM
thanks guys! i think i am going for the non-brown capnella

vitz
06/07/2005, 02:53 PM
kenya tree usually refers to the colt, and capnella corals, which are almost always brown/tan, with the rarer 'green' forms available as well, though they aren't very green ;)

ReefGeekster
06/07/2005, 08:45 PM
hmm, are those Palau or Bali always look like that? i mean do the polyps open bigger? the polyps of the kenya tree are a lot more bushy like. Palau and Bali are definitely tree like but they are more like tree without leaf if they can't open bigger. i don't know, maybe it's just me and i am being picky. the color is perfect, though.

Bali is the bushier one, though the Palau is extinct from the reef due to El Nino

Biscutz
06/07/2005, 08:54 PM
I too have a Kenya tree with green highlights, and this darn thing is the DEVIL! I bought it almost 3 years ago, and I have made apporx. 20 separate 3" frags. I can't give this sucker away fast enough, LOL. The mother colony is the size of a dinner plate and I have 3 daughter colonies that are half that size. They are like weeds!

ReefGeekster
06/08/2005, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by ReefGeekster
Bali is the bushier one, though the Palau is extinct from the reef due to El Nino

Here's a tidbit about the Palau Green Tree

http://216.168.47.67/cis-fishnet/seascope/99SS1602.htm