PDA

View Full Version : SCWD wavemaker used Internally with a mag 7??

Create
06/05/2005, 11:02 PM
Hey, i have been experimenting with a SCWD and a mag 7 to create a closed loop system such as the one on this website: http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html .

Anyway, since the mag 7 is submersible and the SCWD can work internally , why cant i have the whole system inside the tank instead of mounted on the back? it will be on a 55 gallon, My system is not all PVC like Melev's. It uses mostly tubing->PVC. I want the pump to be as quiet as possible and figured i could put it in the tank with the intake filter that came with the mag 7..

does anyone have any thoughts on this? and maybe burying the pvc under the sand ?

orlenz
06/05/2005, 11:16 PM
you can run it all inside, I think most people go external for two reasons, to keep the pump from heating the water, and for looks.

Bearbait
06/05/2005, 11:22 PM
Be carefull of the SCWD Its great but I had to take my 2 off of my system.. what was happening is small snails were getting into the inside of SCWD and for some reason I dont know yet when the SCWD sticks it increases the flow . when i set them up i put a better pump to run them so when it stuck all that flow was released and my overfow couldnt handle the flow rate.

Just my dealing with 2 of them.

Create
06/05/2005, 11:25 PM
ah well im currently not running with a sump. thats why i was curious as to if i could put it all inside the tank.. Maybe hide the PVC under the sand except for the outputs, and find somewhere to hide the mag 7...

do you think the mag7 would put off that much heat??

sjm817
06/06/2005, 07:34 AM
Mag pumps are water cooled. They heat the water whether they are submerged or not. External may be a smidge cooler. They are basically a big powerhead. Be sure to use a good prefilter on the mag to keep snails, sand, etc out of the scwd. You would also want to have the intake up off the sandbed,

SmartWrasse
06/06/2005, 10:51 AM
My big problem was the calcium-carbonate build up clog the thing so it would not rotate. I don't use them anymore since I couldn't clean them. I would recommend you have a squid some place that it is easy to remove and clean. I soaked it in vinegar and sprayed it out with a water hose.

AndrewBobDrew
06/06/2005, 03:12 PM
Hey Create I have a 65g and was also considering using the SCWD. Melev uses his by using an intake from the tank and then just pushes it back in like a closed loop and this way things remain hidden. I am also using tubing like you and I think it will be even easier to hide it.

Carl_in_Florida
06/06/2005, 03:31 PM
I have seen this at a lfs. they have one on either end of their sps tank. its a mag connected directly to the scwd with an elbow on the outputs.

CArl