PDA

View Full Version : angels in the reef

JBOD77
06/05/2005, 09:10 PM
alright, i was considering adding an angelfish to a reef tank. i know the large angels, ie: holacanthus/pomacanthus/etc., are out of the question but i've seen dwarf angels from the genus centropyge in several different tanks and yet i've been warned against them?? i've also seen regal angels,(Pygoplites diacanthus) in reef tanks?? i know all the rules can broken in this hobby ( one of my tanks house a hippo and a yellow tang) but was wondering if there were any opinions out there on this matter. The tank is 70 gals ( the one w/ the 2 tangs is only 55 both are happy and healthy) i would rather err on the side of caution then watch one of these beautiful fish eat my sps/lps.
thanks,
JBOD :)

reefer123456789
06/05/2005, 09:25 PM
I've heard you can keep cherub angels in a reef aquarium there are a few others but I can't remember there names.

Aquaguru
06/05/2005, 09:52 PM
I have a Potters angel in my 120 for about 2 months now. It has been a great fish to me and is always out and swimming around. Never shy and eats almost about anything. I have mostly LPS and a few softies, and I haven't seen him nip at any of them. I keep him well fed though to make sure he doesn't, I feed him about 2 a day but on some days I don't feed at all and then on other days I feed 1 or 3 times. I think that if you keep him well fed and happy he won't bother anything, but thats just my opinion. There is always that chance that you will get one that nips, some say its 50/50. I guess I got lucky.

Also you can check out the genicanthius (sp?) species they are said to be reef-safe.

suzstephens
06/05/2005, 10:14 PM
Of the large angels, the Genicantus (Swallotail) species are reef safe. The gorgeous BlueFace is reefsafe with the exception of open brain corals. Flame angels are 50/50 depending on the individuals; mine has been OK. Though it grazes constantly, I've never seen it nip anything inapproapriate. I had to give away my False Lemon Peel because it was nipping at clams.

Blue Baron
06/05/2005, 10:34 PM
We have an Eibli Angel in our reef tank. Granted, she is newly introduced. However, over the course of the last week, we have not observed any alarming behavior. She has nipped a bit at the Keyna Tree corals, and a couple of others. However, each time, she does no damage. She seems to graze quite nicely on the hair algae, which is appreciated.

Bearbait
06/05/2005, 10:40 PM
Just remember nothing is for sure when talking Angels every fish has a diffrent personality wich can change at any time you could have one in your tank for months and it not do anything and one mornining wake up to all your blue zoos gone. Centropyge is your best bet but still its like going to Vegas sometimes you win and well....

JBOD77
06/06/2005, 07:51 AM
thanks for all the advice this site never lets me down.....looks like i'll try
something still undecided. and as in vegas....what happens in my reef stays in my reef :)

Micki
06/06/2005, 07:55 AM
I have a coral beauty angel and a flame angle in my 125 reef with no problems.

RockinRichie
06/06/2005, 09:22 AM
our flame angel picked one of our xenia's clean! it was gone within two days. I saw him nipping at the head and thought that he was getting food between the animal, but next morning it was gone! mowed over like a lawnmower!! And then he moved on to our clam, nipping at him constantly! That weekend the tank was torn apart to get the little destructor out of there! But I agree, I think fish have different tendencies.

thrlride
06/06/2005, 09:28 AM
It comes down to trial and error as far as I know. I won't put an angel in a my reef though.

BigDaddy
06/06/2005, 09:38 AM
I have both a majestic and emperor in my 280 reef, they do not bother sps, softies, some lps or clams. The only coral I've seen them both eat have been open brains, so far.

They have been in my tank for 4 and 3 years each.

phlipper84
06/06/2005, 09:49 AM
I have kept both cherub pygmys (purple w/yellow face) and Flameback angels (purple with orange back) without any noticable problems.

rtc_reefer
06/06/2005, 09:49 AM
I have a flame that so far is OK.. but please do not get a lemonpeel. Some internet sites state them as reef-safe... NOPE! My 8" elegant was almost destroyed!

Steve Atkins
06/23/2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by BigDaddy
I have both a majestic and emperor in my 280 reef, they do not bother sps, softies, some lps or clams. The only coral I've seen them both eat have been open brains, so far.

They have been in my tank for 4 and 3 years each.
Do you have any bubble coral? I have a small open brain that I could move elsewhere, and a bubble, otherwise all hard corals are SPS. What about soft corals and clams?

When I had a fish only tank many years ago one of my favourites was the emperor so the idea of putting one in my reef rather appeals.

Steve