PDA

View Full Version : Blue Hippo Tang.

seriousdude5
06/05/2005, 08:08 PM
I am interested in purchasing a blue hippo tang. Since I need to bring the purple tang back to the LFS to a better store since my tank isnt large enough. If I put the blue hippo tang in a 65gallon tank will it be alright or will that also be to small. Because if no blue tang then then tangs will be completley out of the question. Let me know thanx! Didn't research the PT now I'm chaning my ways.

Potsy
06/05/2005, 08:22 PM
The hippo tang will grow a few inches larger (12 inches max.) than your purple (10 inches max.) and is a more active swimmer. You'll probably end up bringing it back as well, and sooner than you think since they grow pretty fast. It is generally recommended in the species descriptions I've come across that a minimum tank volume of 100 gallons is required for this fish as an adult. I have a yellow tang that is fat and healthy but seems kind of cramped in my 75 gallon with all the large corals in my aquarium. I might not have gotten one if I could do it over again.

I suggest small to med active fish like small wrasses or clownfish.

seriousdude5
06/05/2005, 08:38 PM
Thank you I think I am going to go smaller then perhaps I iwll make a flame angle my center piece though they are sometimes proe to nip at corals I am wlling to trake the chance.

JENnKerry
06/05/2005, 09:17 PM
Potsy gave some good advise. I agree. 65 is still too small for the hippo.

NewMariner
06/05/2005, 10:56 PM
I do have a question. How long does it take Hippos to actually grow?

The LFS has some quarter-size to fifty cent size hippos, and I was thinking about getting 1 for my 46g bow that Im about to setup to tie me over until my bigger tank does arrive. Granted I probably wont get the bigger tank until after the 1st of the year as I am just in the planning stages..

New tank is going to be 250G plus....but is about a year away from being actually setup....Would a hippo outgrow a 46g bowfront if he is starting out at quarter size in a years time?

Potsy
06/05/2005, 11:01 PM
Healthy hippos can put on several inches per year - depends on the individual and feeding regimen. Why not just wait a year until you actually set up your 250?

A quarter sized hippo would certainly have enough space - they don't take very well to moves though. That's why they got the label "ich magnet."

NewMariner
06/05/2005, 11:05 PM
Yea I know...Im just trying to get a stocking list for this 46g and my wife fell in love with these "little" hippos....I knew they require big tanks as I have had one before, just havent had such a small one to start out with, and never knew how long it would take it to outgrow the 46...

Potsy
06/05/2005, 11:10 PM
My wife loves them too but she understands that they get way too big for my tiny 75gallon. I've often been tempted to pick one up but then I walk a few tanks over at the lfs and look long and hard at a full grown one chugging around the tank and quickly change my mind. Yellow tail damsels are almost as blue as the hippos and are pretty peaceful relative to other damsels. Look them up.

NewMariner
06/05/2005, 11:33 PM
Ive had yellow tails...and you think they are peaceful you have something else coming for you....I will never buy another damnsel....

shawnaus17
06/05/2005, 11:58 PM
will if you read it says that in the wild the largest record is 12" i do agree that they can grow a few inches a year but i would really like to meet someone that has a regal tang that is 12" plus

slcw
06/06/2005, 12:19 AM
regal tangs are nice but they are more easily sick compared to yellow tangs.
i have 3 tangs in my 210 gallon (with 67g sump)
1 sohal, 1 yellow tang, 1 regal (still fighting for ich)

if ur tank is at least 4ft long then go for YT

JENnKerry
06/06/2005, 05:50 AM
Again, Potsy is right about waiting for the new tank. What if something financially happens along the way and the new tank has to get put on hold? Not fair to the fish if you ask me. We all need to look at our current tanks and stock those accordingly. Just my opinion.

aquaman222
06/06/2005, 10:47 AM
Hippos are coral nippers as well. I just got rid of an 8" one. Don't add that flame angel either. If you want corals stick to the recommendations for fish or you will be sorry.

marinelife
06/06/2005, 11:50 AM
I have had my hippo for 10 years and he has never bothered corals, he has been a very hardy fish for me, survived some mistakes I have make and several moves. He is only about 10" long maybe only 9" hard to tell. He is not out alot, mainly stays in the rocks.

moogoomoogoo
06/06/2005, 12:13 PM
Mine started the size of a quarter. After 3-4 years was 5-6 inches long. I never had any health issues with it.

aquaman222
06/06/2005, 12:24 PM
One thing I will also say about hippos. It seems that recently their hardiness has declined. Small ones seem to be more delicate than the larger imports. I have a theory, but no evidence. Silly movie = raid on hippos. Healthy supply declining, diver takes anything due to demand.

Gooli
06/06/2005, 12:28 PM
I have always relied on the minimum tank size that they advertise for fish on liveaquaria.com

My reasoning? These guys are trying to SELL YOU - so i think they are giving us the absolute minimum tank size that would work for the fish. I have had tangs in a 46g bow - and i was sorry i got them because it was clear that they needed more room - ended up dying. Blue tang needs 70 gallons or more. Thus, 70 is the very minimum.

gooliver

NewMariner
06/06/2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by gooliver
I have always relied on the minimum tank size that they advertise for fish on liveaquaria.com

My reasoning? These guys are trying to SELL YOU - so i think they are giving us the absolute minimum tank size that would work for the fish. I have had tangs in a 46g bow - and i was sorry i got them because it was clear that they needed more room - ended up dying. Blue tang needs 70 gallons or more. Thus, 70 is the very minimum.

gooliver

Obviously Im not trying to put a full size hippo, or even a 4-5 inch specimen in a 46g bowfront. The size I was talking about is quarter-size to 50 cent size. Of course it will need a bigger tank as an adult and I know for sure it will outgrow the 46....question is not IF it will....but WHEN it will.....

The tank money is saved up and ready to be spent. Im doing research as to what I want to keep, and what size exactly I do want and where Im going to put it(read still debating with wife about where).

The tank WILL happen. And it Will happen by next year.....

Gooli
06/06/2005, 01:42 PM
i'm not trying to scare you or anything but i had two differnt blue tangs die in my 46g - they were the quarter size.

not sure if it was due to size limitations

fishinchick
06/06/2005, 02:00 PM
The problem is your tiny hippo will still grow to be a full sized hippo. I personally have seen some larger than 12 inches.

These guys need a very large tank as adults and as juveniles they need a lot of space to swim. If you get it - it will stress out and die because a 46 bowfront is entirely too small for it's spatial requirements.

Blue hippos do not pick at corals. They are mostly planktivores but will learn to eat whatever you feed the rest of the tank. They will pick at but not consume a lot of hair algae and are the least good choice for the 'tangs eat hair algae' theory.

If you happen to have noticed, blue tangs have been hard to come by from time to time. Their numbers occasionally diminish in the wild and they stop exporting them until the numbers can catch up.

If you want a blue tang so badly, talk your other half into a MUCH bigger tank. Until then you have to explain that if she really likes those fish that they won't live. It would be like keeping a Great Dane in a kennel for a teacup poodle.

aquaman222
06/06/2005, 02:22 PM
HIPPOS CAN and DO NIP AT CORALS. Not all of them, but I have witnessed this on several occasions. I watched one I use to have mow down a patch of zooanthus polyps over and over.

fishinchick
06/06/2005, 03:11 PM
Ive dealt with so many. I personally have never seen them do it but I'm sure that fish, like many humans can be neurotic.

I've seen zebrasomas pick at bubble corals, zoanthids, frogspawns and hammers. I suppose if one starves their fish enough anything is possible.

Cayman_Snorkler
06/06/2005, 03:16 PM
My only gripe with this fish is the fact it is a crapping machine, traded it off based on this attribute alone. Didn't fit well in my SPS dedicated low nutrient environment. Other than that, absolutely gorgeous and eye catching.

NewMariner
06/06/2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by fishinchick
The problem is your tiny hippo will still grow to be a full sized hippo. I personally have seen some larger than 12 inches.

These guys need a very large tank as adults and as juveniles they need a lot of space to swim. If you get it - it will stress out and die because a 46 bowfront is entirely too small for it's spatial requirements.

Blue hippos do not pick at corals. They are mostly planktivores but will learn to eat whatever you feed the rest of the tank. They will pick at but not consume a lot of hair algae and are the least good choice for the 'tangs eat hair algae' theory.

If you happen to have noticed, blue tangs have been hard to come by from time to time. Their numbers occasionally diminish in the wild and they stop exporting them until the numbers can catch up.

If you want a blue tang so badly, talk your other half into a MUCH bigger tank. Until then you have to explain that if she really likes those fish that they won't live. It would be like keeping a Great Dane in a kennel for a teacup poodle.

Did you read my posts? I know a Hippo as an ADULT would not work in a 46g bowfront. I am talking about BABIES NOT JUVENILES...babies that are quarter size....they arent even an INCH in length....

Like I have stated before, I am planning on either a 6 foot long or maybe an 8 foot long tank. I have the money saved, and the wife's ok for a bigger tank. It is going to be a reality. I want to raise a baby to full size.

JENnKerry
06/06/2005, 04:22 PM
As long as you WILL get the bigger tank otherwise it won't be fair to the fish. Best of luck

fishinchick
06/06/2005, 05:06 PM
From babies/juveniles grow adults. You realize that they don't stay puppies forever don't you?

Even as little guys if they dont have space to speed around they'll often stress out and then you'll have an ich problem.
If you are planning on getting a bigger tank that is just great. Get the tang when that happens. There are many things that happen along the way that put off that bigger tank. I would hate to see you get stuck with a large tang that is stressing and sharing ich in your system but hey, ultimately you'll do what you want to do. Obviously you are very stuck on the idea already so just do it then.

I think the problem with reading here may fall on your side, not mine. I fully understand what you want to do. You asked for opinions and observations and I have given you mine. I apologize with all my heart and soul that I'm not giving you the answer you wanted to hear. I'm not very good at that.

Cayman_Snorkler, you have the right idea about the poo-maker. :lol: Excellent observation.

Paul B
06/06/2005, 05:18 PM
Actually I hate to say this but a hippo tang should be fine in a 65 gallon tank. I have had many of them and even after twelve years they don't get very large in a tank. In the sea they get fairly large but I have kept them in a 40 gallon for ten years and they got about 5" which is about the same size they reach in my 100. I do find however that after five or six years they develop HLLE disease, I don't know if they would get it in a larger tank but I have never seen them in the sea with that disease.
Paul

Potsy
06/06/2005, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Paul B
I do find however that after five or six years they develop HLLE disease, I don't know if they would get it in a larger tank but I have never seen them in the sea with that disease.
Paul

The fact that they do develop HLLE after five years is perhaps a sign that a more appropriate, bigger habitat would benefit the fish. Nonetheless, you must have been providing some tender loving care considering how long you kept them:)

Paul B
06/06/2005, 07:56 PM
Thats the only problem I find with those beautiful fish. They live a long time but they look ratty after a while. I am experimenting now with a moorish Idol so maybe I will try the same thing with a hippo. I find that just about all fish will live at least ten years except small damsels like blue devils, I get about 7 or 8 years out of them
Take care.
Paul

Bass Master
06/06/2005, 08:33 PM
here you go - 30 cube. Got it when it was the size of a quarter. One of the best fish I've ever had. If you have algea on your corals it will nip at them. If you have algea on your corals something's wrong. Yes, I'm getting a bigger tank but that's null and void in this thread. Oh yeah, check out the powderblue.
Not sure if this pic is good or not - IMO, as long as as your water is good you shouldn't have a problem with a hippo short term in a tank that sizehttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/Bassin10/hippoandpowderblue.jpg

NewMariner
06/06/2005, 08:39 PM
Thanks BassMaster....at least someone understands my post.....

How big have they gotten in your 30 cube and how long have you had them? At what point will you decide they need a bigger tank?

BillyFSU
06/06/2005, 09:18 PM
Hey BassMaster, I bet you could get a full grown green moray in there too if you pushed hard enough.

NewMariner, I just added a tiny hippo to my tank after about 6 weeks of QT and another 4 weeks of QT at my supplier. These fish are ich magnets, and their metabolism is through the roof. I used a special red algal flake blended with spiralina and fed around 3x a day. They do grow quick and are very active swimmers. I personally would wait until about 3-4 months before you setup your big tank and then buy a small hippo and use your 46 as QT (if its the only fish in it). I just setup a 140g tank, and had some unplanned setbacks so keep that in mind.

JENnKerry
06/06/2005, 09:20 PM
I'm just going to pretend I didn't see that. Sorry folks, I just dont agree with it. Why put something in your tank that you know WILL need a new home at some point? Knowing that these two tangs are in a tank that size is just downright cruel. Being agile and aggressive swimmers, they need a tank no smaller than 6'. Sorry

Bass Master
06/06/2005, 10:08 PM
I'll go in order
NewMariner - I've had the hippo for over a year. 1" when when I got it - 2" now. I've had the pbt for a little over 2 months. 3" when I got it, 3" now. IMO, a healthy, small hippo (1")would be fine in a 65 for a couple years. Not the pbt though.
BillyFSU - that full grown green moray might eat my fish, so I'm thinking...not
JENnKerry - LOL

tsquad
06/06/2005, 10:20 PM
:eek2:

Bass Master, that is pretty bad. I'm not even considering two tangs in my 135. I guess as babies that would be fine for a month or two, but otherwise...

NewMariner...for your 46g soon to be 250g...how soon? I believe that you will upgrade, and in this case, it's not a problem to have a baby tang in your 46g IMO, for a limited amount of time.

However, many people buy tangs knowing that they will outgrow their small tanks, but don't have any plan of upgrading. They say, "I will upgrade when he gets big enough." That is wrong IMO. You have done it correctly; already planned the larger tank, etc etc. I say fine, for maybe 6 months, max.

SunnyX
06/06/2005, 10:22 PM
I couldnt resist!!
This is Big Blue. Moved him recently from my 120gl to my 225gl and he is loving it. He's about 9 inches. Pic is almost actual size.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/523/49653DSCN2327.jpg

Bass Master
06/06/2005, 10:27 PM
Very nice! Cool avatar too

Paul B
06/07/2005, 05:35 AM
SunnyX that is a beautiful Hippo. How long have you had it?
There is no sign of HLLE on him at all. These fish live in small schools and all decend on corals at once to eat algae. I am sure that the fact that we can't keep them in schools stresses them out but they are still long lived beautiful fish. I don't have a close up of mine but this one I had for about nine or ten years until he died last year in an accident.
Have a great day.
Paul
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/13094Copy_of_Tank_008.jpg

JENnKerry
06/07/2005, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by tsquad

otherwise...NewMariner...for your 46g soon to be 250g...how soon? I believe that you will upgrade, and in this case, it's not a problem to have a baby tang in your 46g IMO, for a limited amount of time.

However, many people buy tangs knowing that they will outgrow their small tanks, but don't have any plan of upgrading. They say, "I will upgrade when he gets big enough." That is wrong IMO. You have done it correctly; already planned the larger tank, etc etc. I say fine, for maybe 6 months, max.

What happens and something financially comes up and the new tank gets put on hold? That's not fair for the fish. People should stock their current tanks accordingly, not based around a tank that they dont have.

NewMariner
06/07/2005, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by JENnKerry
What happens and something financially comes up and the new tank gets put on hold? That's not fair for the fish. People should stock their current tanks accordingly, not based around a tank that they dont have.

Like I have said before, the money is already in the bank, just waiting to be spent....there is nothing financially coming up unless I loose my job, which is impossible for the next 5 years as I am in a UNION........

Its really uncool of all you people to keep stating that it is inappropriate to keep such a SMALL FISH (LESS THEN AN INCH) in a 46g Bow for any amount of time. I know it will outgrow the tank. The thing you People cant understand is that I AM ASKING WHEN. WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN....and not a single one of you flamers have provided that information.........

Unless you have this information then I would encourage you to not post or the mods might as well close this thread as it is becoming pointless........

JENnKerry
06/07/2005, 08:56 AM
Whatever, good luck with your fish.

sinkingbeach
06/07/2005, 09:34 AM
I bought a quarter size hippo about 3 months ago, he was the smallest fish in my tank and is now equal to the size of my flame angel, he has almost tripled in size. I'm beginning to believe my 75g is way to small for him already, I bought him expecting to go with a bigger tank after Christmas but have come to the realization that I will have to go bigger this Sept. With this experience I think I should have upgraded first and then purchase the hippo, either way good luck.

BillyFSU
06/07/2005, 09:38 AM
SunnyX, nice fish. Hope mine looks like that one day.

NewMariner, did you see what I suggested or are you just waiting for someone to come along and just say get the fish now it will be okay so you don't feel guilty? Mine started at around 3/4" to 1", and in a short time (3 months) its nearing 3" already.

NewMariner, I just added a tiny hippo to my tank after about 6 weeks of QT and another 4 weeks of QT at my supplier. These fish are ich magnets, and their metabolism is through the roof. I used a special red algal flake blended with spiralina and fed around 3x a day. They do grow quick and are very active swimmers. I personally would wait until about 3-4 months before you setup your big tank and then buy a small hippo and use your 46 as QT (if its the only fish in it). I just setup a 140g tank, and had some unplanned setbacks so keep that in mind.

Biscutz
06/07/2005, 10:38 AM
I also have a blue hippo in my 100 gal tank. I bought him at about 2" and he's just about 4" now. I did start with him in a 65 gal hex, where he stayed there for approximatley 5 months. He's been in my new tank for over a year and a half. I did notice a big growth spurt once he was moved to the larger tank. I do disagree with the fact that you MUST have a 6' tank in order to provide these fish with a healthy and happy life. A 220g tank is in the works, but not because of the tang, its because the SPS bug has set in at full force.....haha

NewMariner
06/07/2005, 10:47 AM
BillyFsu,

No I saw what you had typed, I didnt respond because ich is all relative...for all I know you could have had poor water conditions which stressed the fish. Doesnt mean your tank is to small...Im not looking for Permission to buy a tang....I dont need anyones permission.

I was looking for information on their growth rates from quarter size on up. Only Bass Master and Sinking beach could provide the information about growth rates and time with their posts. That is all I was asking for. Im not interested in your opinion, Im not interested in what you think an appropriate size tank would be...because in reality, NO TANK is big enough, yet that doesnt stop people with 300 g tank purchasing them.

The question was, how long would it take for a QUARTER size Hippo to outgrow a 46g.....nothing else....

Bassmaster, Sinking Beach, Thanks for your posts. I have decided based on your posts and a few other threads that I will hold off until Im a little closer to setting up the bigger tank before I put a hippo in the 46g.... The 46g will only be a growout tank as what is the point of putting a quarter size tang in a tank with a 9 inch Lion? The lion would have lunch:)

To the rest of the tang police....Thanks for your comments....but most importantly before you go off flaming people for their ideas it would be helpful to construct your arguement in a better manner.

JENnKerry
06/07/2005, 11:07 AM
You do understand that by placing a small hippo in a tank that size you run the risk of it getting stressed out and possibly getting it's growth stunted? This is why they need to be in bigger tanks from the get go. If you ask this question to others, 1 out of every 10 people might tell you it's ok to put it in there right now. I'm sorry I think you're making a big mistake, and for your fish's sake I hope it makes it and gives you years of enjoyment. I am not trying to come off sounding like the captain of the tang police, but even though that is not my fish I do care about it's well being. I wish you the best of luck :thumbsup:

NewMariner
06/07/2005, 12:35 PM
Im glad people read:rolleyes: :mad:

Mods Please Close this thread...I think its usefulness has passed.

JENnKerry
06/07/2005, 12:58 PM
Even though you asked the question that you did, you can't possibly think that you wouldn't get flamed for even thinking about doing something like that.
I agree, mods please close this thread.

BillyFSU
06/07/2005, 01:02 PM
I'm sorry that my feeding regimen, growth rate and QT procedures from my own experiences were of no use to you and you are somehow misconstruing this as a flame. My hippo never had ich when I received it (after the QT at the suppliers) and I QT'd myself to be on the safe side. Fair warning, from what I've heard from the LFS that I bought this from (who is rigorous in selecting the best specimens before selling) and from reading on this board the majority of these baby hippo's carry ICH so I truly hope you QT before adding it to your future tank. It will also need frequent feedings to keep up with its metabolism (this is not something I made up, look it up yourself). Good luck.

fishinchick
06/07/2005, 01:31 PM
sunnyx CONGRATULATIONS!! Obviously responsible reef keeping has resulted with a prime beauty to show for it - a large healthy NON-HLLE fish that is an excellent representation of the species. I would like to take the time to point out big tank size that this fish STARTED in and moved to. Case in point. Thank you. Have a beer.

JENnKerry I agree totally with your statements. Why is it admirable to torture fish? It's not that it can't be done, but SHOULD you - this is an ethics call for sure and not everyones mommmy taught them ethics.

NewMariner the money is already in the bank, just waiting to be spent ... what if you die tomorrow. what if the stock market crashes. what if banks suddenly fold. ich is 'all relative' but some animals have a more likely dispensation for attrracting it because they are kept in conditions that are sub-required for that species. (ahem).
A quarter sized blue tang needs a very large space to swim. Just because it is little doesn't mean you can keep it in something small. Obviously some people dont really like this fish for anything more than a trophy of posession.

The answer to your question is "faster than you can setup a new tank". We tried to give you the reasons why but I guess we just didnt give you the answer you wanted but I see some other people did.

I really don't consider myself tang police, just idiot intervention. But hey, I like saying I told you so too. It comes with being female.

Normally I'd say good luck in your venture but I think the luck wishing may rely on the poor animal you purchase. I hope you can pull it off for the fishes sake.

RevHtree
06/07/2005, 02:28 PM
The tang is already to big for that size tank IMHO. Tangs are so beautiful that most want at least one. The problem is that smaller tanks are not meant to house such active fish. Health wise I think in the long run will be bad on the fish. Maybe you want experience the effects of maturing in such a small tank, but whoever gets your fish may.

I think you should just go out and get you at least a 6ft tang, and get you 2 of them....:)

Not flaming just answering....

RevHtree
06/07/2005, 02:29 PM
whoops!! I said get a 6ft tang, I meant to type TANK...I promise..

JENnKerry
06/07/2005, 02:33 PM
Well said fishinchick :thumbsup:

mhurley
06/07/2005, 02:35 PM
Timeout everyone.

mhurley
06/07/2005, 07:20 PM
Ok....now if everyone wants to play nice, feel free to continue to discuss this topic.