PDA

View Full Version : water change hurt coral?

elChino
06/05/2005, 06:13 AM
Can a partial water change hurt coral? I have a flowerpot (GONIOPORA) coral and it was in perfect condition before and I just changed the water and the 'fingers' on the branches aren't as lively as before. Some are darker and curled inward as if 'burned' somehow. Anyone have an idea or experience with this? I'm really worried now. It was a perfect coral. Sorry for the funny naming of parts but I can't think of any other way to describe it. Do the 'fingers' retract in, as well and could they just not be fully extended yet?

Steven Pro
06/05/2005, 06:16 AM
If the water was not well mixed or the same temperature or salinity as the display, that could affect the coral causing it to retract.

icliao
06/05/2005, 07:33 AM
Don't worry that much.
It may recover in time.
Anyway, flower pot is difficult to maintain for long run.

elChino
06/05/2005, 05:59 PM
Well, it's not that it retracted. It did retract due to irritation with the water flowing over it. My main concern is just that it looks crippled now. Who knows, maybe I'm over reacting.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

cristhiam
06/05/2005, 07:08 PM
It shoud start coming out soon Mine does that every time I clean the glass :)

elChino
06/06/2005, 02:48 AM
Here is a picture of before and after. Pay no attention to the exposure, just the 'fingers' of the branches.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/92915CRW_1322_2.jpg

Before they were healthy and all out. Still over 24 hours later they look like this. My clown fish think it's an anemone and they host in it but it didn't cause a problem. This is a result of the water change.

Steven Pro
06/06/2005, 06:01 AM
It really does not look like a dramatic difference to me. I see a change, but it is nothing I would worry about.

elChino
06/06/2005, 06:10 AM
OK, thanks again for responding... I will wait it out and see if anything worsens or not.