PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish growth rate?

Andrew
06/04/2005, 07:35 AM
I've had a 1'' female tomato clownfish for over a year and she hasn't grown at all. Any ideas? Shes really healthy and gets a good amount of food.

Nanoreefer
06/04/2005, 07:52 AM
Most likely could be a couple of things.

How do you know its a female? I believe they don't become male/female until another fish is introduced, then the two will work it out. So most likely, IT is awaiting the introduction of another fish, and then, you would see some changes.

I have a pair that was introduced together, the one that became female grew very quickly, and the male stayed as small as he was when he was a small fish.

Right now I would say my female is about 2.5" and my male is 1" or less.

Also, if you single fish is in a small tank, that also could be keeping him small.

I definately recomend reading the clownfish book by Wilkerson.

Hope this helps

Andrew
06/04/2005, 11:37 AM
I was told it was a female. I can't add other clowns cause they will just kill her. Shes really shy.

Nanoreefer
06/04/2005, 02:33 PM
I would add one more clown that is the same type, but smaller.

Then your fish would establish itself as the dominant one (female), and then you would see her grow.

IMO, because I like seeing two clown fish live together.

Andrew
06/04/2005, 02:53 PM
Ill try to find a smaller one but it need to be really shy also.

LukFox
06/04/2005, 03:22 PM
When kept alone, it will become female. Why yours isnt growing though, I havent a clue... What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc readings? Tank size and tank mates? Forms of stress can stunt growth.

Andrew
06/04/2005, 05:40 PM
Theres no stress. Tank levels are pretty much good. The tank hes in now is a 36 bow front which is going to be a reef. Im going to the lfs to pick up some powerheads and ill see if they have a small tomato clownfish.

Andrew
06/04/2005, 10:13 PM
Well they didn't have any clownfish in but im going to a fish warehouse next week and hopefully they will have some small ones.