PDA

View Full Version : comments and sugestion on new tank

LESUS
06/02/2005, 05:35 AM
I'm ready to upgrade, I've been looking searching around for a manufacturer for my new custom made tank, because of space problem these are my dimensions 54"Lx24"Wx20"H it's going to be eurbrace, overflow on the back, with plumbing drilled..

I need suggestions my LFS gaved me quote I can't turn down I mean the price is great compare to the other places.. $560
but the thing is is going to be normal glass. Extra thick glass, black silicone, black back overflow and drill holes for plumbing..

I went to Miracle for the same size aquarium and mods for starphire but it cost 4 times more than the one above.

I went to a SoCal they gaved me a pretty fair price for the same tank, but I don't really want to do acrylic because of the easy scratches and stuff.. unless you guys recommend it..

So let me know what you guys think.. I don't have big budget.. where else can I get custom made tanks? Any suggestions and comments welcomed.. thanks

daphaze1
06/02/2005, 08:09 AM
frankly i would go with arcylic cause i like to move things around and i have no kids =), hence because of that, i never had a problem with scratches. I just dont recommend having a pen in your front shirt pocket or having a watch while you clean your tank if you need to reach in. Hence i would try to go eurobracing making it easier to clean. For the most part i'd use a magnet cleaner w/ whisper filters over it. And for coraline i'd use an acrylic safe scrapper from kent. Its more work then glass, i'll admit it, but acrylic is much stronger and will not leak for your lifetime if made correctly. As in glass tanks is not as strong, heavy, and may leak after a few years, depending on your silicone. Also may crack and break and shatter when there is an earthquake. Also i've seen many people scratch their glass tanks as well. Just be careful, i mean i've seen people with cell phones where they take care of it and people who dont. Just depends on where you going to put it, and if your going to take care of your stuff. =)