PDA

View Full Version : Termite Fumigation

lego
06/01/2005, 08:06 PM
The building that my Townhouse is part of needs to be fumigated (tented) for termites.

Any reefers ever dealt with this? What's the best plan of attack for fish stuff?

Obviously I need to remove any fish, but do the live rock, water, tank? empty QT tanks? fish food, etc all have to be moved out?

Qwiv
06/01/2005, 11:58 PM
I would get it out of there mate. Mine did ok with a localized termite teatment but i was really worried.

RustySnail
06/02/2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by lego
Obviously I need to remove any fish, but do the live rock, water, tank? empty QT tanks? fish food, etc all have to be moved out?

Anything/everything related to your tank and equipment should be removed. I'm not sure how long after that there might be toxicity to a reef tank, but I would not expect your home to be 100% free of fumigant after the termite Co says it's OK to move back in. If you call a local termite company they should be able to tell you what precautions you need to take, both for your tank and for your own health (like emptying out your cupboards, etc).

racrumrine
06/03/2005, 05:51 PM
In my wanderings around ReefCentral, I have read a couple of interesting threads on this topic.

I don't remember all the details; but, if you do a search, you should find them.

If I remember right, you don't have to move the tank if you plan it right.

Best of luck,

Roy

Vincerama2
06/07/2005, 06:11 PM
If they use "Vikane", it's a gas, so there is no residue after it's done. ie; it's not a spray or anything that lingers. It might dissolve in your tank water though. It's prett freaking deadly, so I'd move stuff out. They tent the house for at least 24 hours, so I don't know how you can keep your tank oxygenated during that time, or how you'd prevent that stuff from dissolving in the water.

V

jedininja
06/08/2005, 10:41 AM
How about covering everything with plastic wrap to make sure that nothing can get in, remove any external equipment, and maybe pull in air with an airpump from the outside?

RustySnail
06/09/2005, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by jedininja
How about covering everything with plastic wrap to make sure that nothing can get in, remove any external equipment, and maybe pull in air with an airpump from the outside?

There are a few threads that discuss this; some precautions can be taken but the termite co wont allow you to run air into the tent. People have successfully 'sealed' their tank from the gas with special non-permeable plastic. The termite co will shut off the power also so circulation and temp are also a problem. The whole process takes 2-3 days from what I understand; with 24hours of fumigation.

If you can't move the tank, re-locate what you can to a friend's tank or LFS and 'seal' the system as best you can. If you can run a UPS with circulation and an air tank (like a diving tank) to keep positive pressure/aeration into the tank you might be able to keep the system from crashing/cycling. From what I have read Vikane is toxic/airborne but is not very well absorbed into water. Solong as you prevent the tank from being exposed to it and maintain aeration/circulation the system might survive.

I would just move all the livestock/lr out and wash down the system after the fumigation.

derek
06/12/2005, 10:29 AM
Check what there are using. I was stupid when I had my house fumigated 5 years ago. I got rid of 90% of the stuff in my tank before I asked what they were going to use. They were using Vikane. If you look into it you might come to the same comclusion I did. That was that the water solubility is so far below the toxic level that fish and corals should not be affected. Also the half life in water was something really short so it isn't going to build up. The damsels and coral frags that stayed in the tank came through without a problem. The tank got cold, 71, but I brought the temp back up slowly and didn't see any problems.

I was talking to the supervisor from the fumigation company about aquariums while they were untenting the house. He said they suggest removing fish as a blanket policy because some fish(like goldfish) come to the surface for air and the Vikane will be lethal in that case. When we did the walk throught I mentioned how cold the tank was and he said it would have been OK to have left a small pump and heater on in the tank during the fumigation.

In my case they didn't turn off power to my house, so if I had to do it again and the tank was doing well I would probably frag everything back(reduce the load in the tank), turn everything off except for the circulation pump and heater and fumigate.

FWIW

Derek

lego
06/16/2005, 04:46 AM
Met with the Termite Guy, they do use Vikane.

Their policy is that anything that looks like a pet (bugs in jars, ant farms, etc) must be removed.

Power does stay on during tenting.

He said that the water in the tank is no worry. But all wildlife (fish, hermits, etc) needed to come out per company policy.

I've also seen posts that say vikane does not permeate the water.

Only concern I have are coral (softies) and live rock. I can keep my pumps going and lights on.

Vincerama2
06/16/2005, 12:59 PM
The termite tenting caused ig problems for me, but I was moving INTO the house. For one thing, they not only required that the gas be shut off, they PHYSICALL REMOVED my gas meter! And DID NOT re-install it when they were done! If this needs to be done, schedule AHEAD OF TIME for the gas company to come and turn your gas back on...

It might not be a problem for you, but I moved/tented in January, and the house had no heat for several days while I waited for the gas company to re-install the gas meter (it's easy to shut off gas and relight pilot lights...but not if the gas meter is sitting on the lawn!) and I lost 80% of my corals and 90% of my freshwater fish died. Stupid tank heater got stuck in the on position and cooked the corals that didn't freeze to death. Again, this was only a problem because I was moving the tanks INTO a cold house.

Also, the termite guys knocked down half my gutters.

I hate termites...as well as the guys that kill them.

V

e.tabri
07/15/2005, 08:33 PM
I suppose by now you have lived through the tenting and the termite treatment.

What did you do? I am going through the same experience, and tenting is planned for August.

Did you remove the tank and inhabitants or what did you do?

Thanks
E.Tabri

SFlogic
07/16/2005, 12:49 AM
Damn we just found out termites are in our home as well....... sucks!!