PDA

View Full Version : Critter ID Help. again

fishgirl
01/30/2002, 09:48 PM
One of the things I love about reefing - I'm always finding new things in the tank!

Tonight I noticed a very small yellow critter in a crevice near the bottom of the rock. It has several very thin tentacles seeming to emanate from a central point. The tentacles are very elastic and active, with some of them stretching out to about half an inch long, curling in on the ends, and then retracting.

I tried to get a picture, but it's just too small and in too dark a hole for me to get any kind of detail.

Any ideas?

MooYak
01/30/2002, 11:54 PM
Kinda hard to tell without a pic, but it might be spaghetti worms. From what I understand they're good to have in your tank. Good detritivores. I have them all in my sandbed and they make little piles of sand around them. Pretty neat guys.

rshimek
01/31/2002, 07:09 AM
Hi,

It could indeed be a small spaghetti worm.

Here is some information about worms in general, but it includes a bit of a discussion with some photos of spaghetti worms (or as biologists refer to them, terebellids).

There are numerous small species of worms that this might be, however, and terebellids are only one choice. If you can get a picture, and post it, I will be glad to try to identify it for you.

:D