PDA

View Full Version : I need to borrow a chiller for a few days

golfish
06/01/2005, 12:57 PM
My AC guy has triple checked my chiller and says its working perfict (1/3 hp in line Aqualogic) I guess I'm just buring up too many watts to drop the temp. This sucker runs 3-4 hrs at a time. I'd like to test another chiller before I spend 1100.00 on a new one. If anybody has a good working chiller I can borrow for a few days I'd really appreciate it.

Mark

deadmanh
06/01/2005, 01:54 PM
mark, i have a 1/4 chiller you can borrow. im down in westminster tho. im not using it for right now. aqualogic (aqua netic)

golfish
06/01/2005, 02:56 PM
I just got a 1/4 hp from Eric...thanks for the offer tho. Now I just need to figure our which end is the input side:confused:

its a custom Sealife chiller, I think

Konadog
06/01/2005, 04:07 PM
Mark, I would ask Eric, but I don't think it matters.

You have a 50\50 chance of getting it correct the first time. ;)

SOREVIV476
06/01/2005, 04:22 PM
always go with the "right" side

lol

golfish
06/01/2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Konadog
Mark, I would ask Eric, but I don't think it matters.

You have a 50\50 chance of getting it correct the first time. ;)

:lol: Eric doesn't know either..after looking inside the barrel it looks like its not going to matter...I just hope it works. We'll know in a few hrs:)

BpOC
06/01/2005, 05:01 PM
i have a 1/3 hp inline if you want to test it :D i think its made by west coast or something like that

Konadog
06/01/2005, 05:32 PM
Mark, just remember with these chillers, it's measured in BTU's. What I mean by this is if you take the temp of the water in "vs" temp of water out, you will barely notice a 1 degree drop (if that). The chiller is removing so many BTU's, if you know how many BTU's your pumps, light, exterior load, etc. are putting in, you can calculate if your chiller is going to win, loose, or maintain temp. Not easy to do, but you can guess close enough.

golfish
06/01/2005, 08:06 PM
Ken, what kills me is my tank runs all day with no lights and stays below 80-81. I would think that my chiller could handle 2x400 watt MH's and 220 watts of VHO's.....wouldn't you?

The news on the borrowed chiller is what I expected. It didn't work as well as my chiller does. The good news is somebodys going to get a good deal on a 1/3 hp AL chiller.

I'm thinking about getting the TradeWinds 1/2 HP 115 volt chiller. The plan for now is to move it into the garage. If that doesn't work I'll move it outside. These seem like pretty sweet chillers. If I move it out to the garage or outside it will be away from the burial site;)

Mark

Konadog
06/01/2005, 09:30 PM
Mark, I would think it would, but it may be borderline as you have found out. I think getting the second chiller for a test was a good idea, and didn't cost you anything. :)

If you putting the chiller in the garage, look into a 220v chiller. It will run better and cheaper in the long run. Be sure to put it in a corner near a vent so it can draw cool air in or vent the heat to the outside.

Back to the burial site, what did the previous owners put under the stairway???

integlikewhoa
06/01/2005, 10:14 PM
What size thank we talking about here? i got a 1/3 HP artica and its doing great for my 125 so im guessing your talking about a nice size tank. :)

TheyCallMeFishy
06/02/2005, 12:03 AM
Golfish, how big is the room that your tank is in? Are there any windows in that room? You could always get a window mountable AC unit to lower your room temp a few degrees, coupled with fans they work wonders. I'm guessing you already have a house AC unit, but this will just give that one a nice boost.

In fact, I ordered a 5,000 BTU Fenner AC unit for my 90 square foot room (maybe it is 80 i dont know). It would be like $88, but I got da hook ups so it was free. Ok im done.

loc01
06/02/2005, 02:35 AM
Hey Mark, how big is your tank? I know a neighbor using 1/3 hp aqualogic in line for his 240g with 3X400w halides. How fast is the flow thr. the chiller?

Loc