PDA

View Full Version : Equipment list for a 35g tank ???

nail9394
01/30/2002, 05:57 PM
What is the ideal equipment list for a 35 g ???

I just have my 35g up and runnintg and I found that the more I learn here the more I found how stupid I am.

I bought 2 X 30W NO, first mistake.
The store suggest me to use crush coral, 45kg ... another one.
They sell me a biowheel hang over tank filter ... look like 3rd.
I have 30 lb of LR ... the only thing that is right ??
A no name CC skimmer.. OK, better than nothing, it works....
A 301 power head... may be it cause my fish to swim backward.
A 100W heater

A list of equipments that's ideal for starters will help a lot of newcomers, like myself, I do think that I need a setup that it works, a shopping list rather than saying dsb is better than canister etc. etc.

now I don't even sure I should keep the active carbon pad inside the filter or take it out...

I am eager to see what other people think is an ideal equipment list ( minium requirement.)

I think your inputs will benefit a lot of newcomers.

NewMariner
01/30/2002, 06:15 PM
It really depends on what you want to be done with the tank. If you want a FO your setup is probably fine. If you want a full blown reef with corals you need to change a few things. There is not a One way of doing things in this hobby. Ive got a few different setups and I will tell you what I have on them.

58g
96w PC Light
40w Actnics
250w Heater
Used to have a BakPak Skimmer but my Cat Broke it so no skimmer
a Sump
an ehiem 1040 pump
2 micro jets for water movement
40 lbs of LR
40 lbs of LS
55g and 75g tanks are pretty much the same but here goes

55g
2 factory lighting units(maybe 40 watts total)
a fluval 304 canister filter with filter media removed
a 200 watt visitherm heater
2 RIO powerheads(yes there is a lot of controversy about rios but Ive had no problems)
50lbs of LR
80lbs of LS

75g
110w of NO Lighting(shoplights from HD)
250w heater
Tropic Marin HOB Filter with no media
a Fluval 303 canister filter with no media
2 Rio Powerheads
75lbs of LR
110lbs of LS

As you can see theres no one way of doing things....I the only thing I would suggest is to Up your lighting if you want corals and to change your substrate from crushed coral to sand if you want corals as well. As you can see my tanks have no skimmers and have performed OK so far...my oldest one which is a year old now has been skimmerless for about 5 months. And I would also take out the biowheel in your filter. Thats probably all I would really do right now......Except for maybe get a bigger tank but thats later
:D :D :D :D

Little Reefer Boy
01/30/2002, 06:16 PM
What is your goal? A reef system? A fish only?

Depending on your budget, you can still use some of what you have.

NO lights: OK if you are just going to do fish only.

I would switch out crushed coral for sand.

For your size tank, you can still use the hang-on filter for circulation. Simply remove the biowheels. I would recommend running it empty of all media. It's not a bad thing to have because you can simply drop in cartridges for the occasional carbon use or water polishing.

If the skimmer works, keep using it. If you notice poor water quality and excess nutrients that you can't ged rid of, then step up the skimmer.

I assume the "301" powerhead is a Hagen? If so, it's a reliable PH.

nail9394
01/30/2002, 10:06 PM
What is the reason that most people runs a filter without media ?? I am totally lost regarding buying a expensive filter and not using it for filtration

Little Reefer Boy
01/30/2002, 11:35 PM
One train of thought that many people have started to follow is filtration with mainly LR and Deep Sand Bed. Whether you supplement with a skimmer or not is a whole other argument. The use of chemical (carbon) and mechanical (floss, mesh) filtration is no longer thought to be as necessary as once believed. Once particular problem is that mechanical filtration (filter pads) tend to trap particles where they can quickly breakdown to nitrates but not nitrogen gas because they are not in contact with anaerobic bacteria.

No one is saying to go out and buy a $100 canister or HOB filter only to run it without media. What we're saying is that if you ALREADY have one laying around, you do not have to let it go to waste. Hence, take out the media and use it for extra water circulation. If you get yellow water or extra particles from say turkey basting the rocks, they drop in a carbon bag/pad for a couple of days.

SirDudeness
01/31/2002, 02:08 AM
whats up nail9394
What is the ideal equipment list for a 35 g ???
well good filtration is a taker,the hang on biowheel is not a bad thing,the pads I would'nt have-it's a breeding grounds for nitrates
and that ya do'nt want,media can do some good if changed,I would change 50% a mounth,the live rock is a very good thing and I would go with a 4-6 DSB,the DSB will be the best thing you can do for any reef tank,if you have a good 4-6 DSB in you tank along with your live rock,out side a good skimmer thats the only filter you need IMO,and a DSB in a 35 gallon tank will only cost ya about $5.00

.I bought 2 X 30W NO, first mistake
thats 1.71 watts per gallon,she is a little low,but that really depends on what you plan on putting in the tank,if I had to say--------140 watts of light would =4 watts per gallon,nothing less IMO
A 301 power head... may be it cause my fish to swim backward.
then again water motion depends on the live stoch in the tank,
some coral and live stock need lower water turns than others,
if I had to say,nothing less than 175 GPH
I am eager to see what other people think is an ideal
equipment list ( minium requirement
4 watts of lighting per gallon
4-6 DSB
live rock
skimmer
good water turns
alkalinity & calcium
maybe just maybe a coral and fish