PDA

View Full Version : Daisy Polyp Classification

TeakieBarber
05/31/2005, 12:45 PM
Anthony ~

I found an item on the FAQ board at WWM, with your mentioning that the Daisy Polyps are of the genera Clavulaira, as far as searching for any info on them. Have you found anything new or an update on their classification?

I have 2 colonies of them and just happened on the first by accident, at a LFS. It took him several tries to find me another one. He would order Daisy Clavularia and always get the Clove Polyp type.

Thanks for any information.
Teakiehttp://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/TeakieBarber/DaisyClavularia2.jpg

Anthony Calfo
06/03/2005, 09:21 PM
its tough to say from pics (and based on common names alone) but the cnidarian in your image looks like an import from Indo that is presently undescribed as best I know. Grossly resembling green-centered "starpolyp" (Pachyclavularia), this coral usually gets shipped as Clavularia.

TeakieBarber
06/04/2005, 06:13 AM
Anthony ~

Would a better picture help you identify them? Or "is that your final answer?" :D

Just a FYI, which backs up what you said on WWM. I found more pictures, that look like what I have, by searching for Clavularia than I did with Pachyclavularia.

Thanks again,
Teakie

Anthony Calfo
06/04/2005, 11:14 AM
heehee... 'tis my final answer until Alderslade says otherwise :D

TeakieBarber
06/04/2005, 02:24 PM
Anthony ~

Did you purposely throw that name in there to send me off on a wild goose hunt? Ask Mark Levenson about me :D

I researched Mr Alderslade's article about the Life Cycle of the Soft Corals. I found it very interesting that there may have to be a male and a female colony for this particular polyp to reproduce. Is that your deduction? Or did I just read to long and get google - eyed? Here's the article I'm referring to:
http://www.biology.iastate.edu/intop/1Australia/05PAPERS/LHaizmannsoft%20corals.htm

I've had my first colony since 02/22/05. I've been hoping it would spread, but it hasn't. Stays right on it's own little Tonga rock. The second one I just got a few weeks ago, and the polyps are smaller, but identical to the first ones, except the 'petals' are a little lighter. So this has me thinking these are baby Daisy Polyps. If you look at the picture again, you can see what I'm saying.

What I'm trying to determine, is whether this particular genera must have a female and a male colony to reproduce. If so, then I'm going to have to find out how to tell the difference. :hmm2:

heehee: 'tis your Mulligan for, "is that your final answer?"

Thanks,
Teakie

Anthony Calfo
06/04/2005, 09:10 PM
I have a track record that soundly supports my claim to inclinations to always want to help people to help themselves... but not enable, or spoon feed them. Its the same spirit I like to learn and be taught :)

Do be sure to run down at least some of the references in Phil's work(s) too. "Hudi" Benayahu in particular is brilliant.

As for your colony... I frankly am not qualified to state an opinion that is worth anything more than that: my opinion... same value as yours/another advanced aquarist. In taxonomy, I am weak.

That said... in husbandry and handling of this and so many other corals, I will say that I do not think your coral has not propagated because it is or may be of an assigned gender. Quite the contrary... there must be other reasons. We have seen this coral spread wildly, do mediocre, or fare poorly variously in aquaria... like most any other "typical" coral.

TeakieBarber
06/05/2005, 04:50 AM
Anthony ~

I've already read, almost a days worth, yesterday of Phil's stuff. So now I will check out the brilliant "Hudi" . More :reading:

As to my colony, it is quite healthy and very full. I went back and looked at some pictures I had taken after I first got it. It's much larger now but still all on the same rock. I recently moved it to a permanent place, with the smaller one. So I will see if it spreads there.

Thanks for all your help. Will let you know if I ever find anything new.

One more question, please. Are you familiar with Hydroids? I have done some research on them because I found some in my Pod Farm. If you are, I'd like to know what you're opinion is on them in the S/W environment, especially my Pod Farm, as the info I've gathered is contrasting.

Thanks, once again. :wavehand: for now.
Teakie
Check out my Web site, if you get a chance:
http://members.aol.com/teakiedl

Anthony Calfo
06/06/2005, 02:29 AM
of all things, I am familiar with hydroids, but from a more naturalist's perspective. For reasons I cannot perhaps fully explain... they fascinate me! For starters, they have a wider range of morphology than most any other cnidarian I can think of. Some hydroids look like calcareous algae... some look like jellyfish, some look like stoloniferous polyps... some look like gorgonians... and all of which can be mistaken for not even being remotely related. Remarkable creatures!

As for utility in aquaria, it may be fair to say that they care categorically useless to harmful. More the latter mate :( Fierce stings, can outcompete most desirable corals, etc. Do avoid.

And on that note... I may be off RC for a little while. Need to pack some bags, do some water changes... and catch a plane again. :)

be back soon,

Anthony

TeakieBarber
06/06/2005, 04:17 AM
Have a good trip. Thanks for the tips on the hydroids.

Teakie