PDA

View Full Version : anyone know the iwaki pump well?

tephanis
05/31/2005, 01:42 AM
I have a iwaki Rl55 an d I believe that is the source of all my micro bubbles... I hardly see any in the sump so that could be the only source.

How often do you guys maintaince this pump? mine has been making funny noises lately... and doesn't seem to be pumping as strong. Do I need to change some parts?

glaudds
05/31/2005, 12:53 PM
You might want to unscrew the impeller housing, and inspect the impeller. If it looks ok, give the impeller and housing a good soak in vinegar to dissolve and soften the buildup. Clean and rinse, reassemble the pump. See if that resolves your noise/pump efficiency problem. Iwaki pumps are pretty durable. I tend to slack on the maintenance of mine because of that. Hope that helps.

tephanis
05/31/2005, 01:56 PM
do you guys use a specific type of vinegar? I know it's a dumb question... hehe rice vin? apple cidar vin? I dont' want to kill the pump. how long do you leave in there for? I unscrewed te damn thing yesterday and there were a bunch of snails stuck in it...

I should do the soak though

glaudds
05/31/2005, 02:04 PM
Just plain white vinegar will do the trick.:D
Soak about an hour or two depending on how much buildup you have. Once it softens, it comes off pretty easily.
I also sometimes use a diluted solution of muriatic acid (got to be careful with that stuff however, because it's pretty caustic).

jim.l
05/31/2005, 02:12 PM
5 - 10 min with muratic acid works better. If you kalk, the holes in the impeller housing tend to fill with calcium. and my experience with vinegar is that it won't get it out. I use it on my IWAKI 55 and also on an IWAKI 20.

glaudds
05/31/2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by jim.l
5 - 10 min with muratic acid works better. If you kalk, the holes in the impeller housing tend to fill with calcium. and my experience with vinegar is that it won't get it out. I use it on my IWAKI 55 and also on an IWAKI 20.
I agree, since it is a much stronger acid, it works much more efficiently dissolving the buildup. Just make sure you're careful with it and use eye protection and gloves.

tidesntails
05/31/2005, 02:43 PM
soetimes my ballvalve union's loosen up a lil and create micro bubbles hope it might help
Robert

tephanis
06/01/2005, 12:33 AM
wait your iwaki shoots out bubbles cuz mine shoots out a ridiculous amount... how do you tighten the ballvalve unions?

where do you get muratic acid?

damn it itought this was a low maintance pump! =)

reven
06/01/2005, 12:43 AM
good ol' Home Depot for muratic acid. Just be very careful with that stuff... nasty nasty stuff. A buddy of mine for some on his skin and got 1st degree checmical burns... not a pretty site.

Badmort
06/01/2005, 02:37 AM
I've always used vinegar, Muriatic Acid is bought at any pool supply or construction supply.. Home Depot etc. I wouldnt recommend it unless you are aware a drop on your skin will burn like hell , Its a really harsh chemical. Best to dilute it some and soak for abit longer.

I'll stop by and help you track down the bubble problem if you want ..
but I'd look for any connection with excessive salt creep , disassemble it , clean and lubricate the seal (plumbers silicone grease) and see if that works. The pump itself isnt going to cause micro bubbles, a bad seal pulling in oxygen would

John

tephanis
06/02/2005, 03:15 AM
hehe jon have any plumbers silcone grease? am I the least handiest person or what...

I don't even know where to lubricate it. Well whenever you are fre jon. I just started my new job so I am pretty busy so you are gonna have to tell me when you are free and I'll make sure I am as well.