PDA

View Full Version : Watchman gobies and pistols: communication?

NicoleC
05/31/2005, 12:06 AM
The more I watch my gobies and pistols, I swear they have some sort of communication skills besides "Danger Will Robinson!"

Example: Last spawn my gobies selected a clay pot half with a back door, but the male drove himself nuts fanning the eggs and then darting back to the den... run over and fan the eggs... back to the den. The pistols tried to build an extension, but it was too far away.

Helpful me placed the pot they selected closer to the den this time where the pistols COULD build to. Instead, the gocies picked out another pot -- I know this because they have this way of checking it out -- anyway, as soon as the decision was made, the pistols half buried it and improved safe access to it so it's almost part of the den structure.

Over the past week since then, the pot has slowly filled up with sand that's leftovers from the ongoing constructions. Mama is HUGE this time and about to pop, and I think she will spawn tonight. As evening settled in, the pistols trolled over and start cleaning out the pot for the gobies!

With the foursome, the gobies are clearly in charge.

Anyone else have goby/pistol pairs that seem to know what each other wants?

ocdreefer
05/31/2005, 12:22 AM
that is way too cool....I saw a pistol shrimp and goby pair in the wild in Tahiti...It was really cool but nothing like what your talking about....good luck...

BTW have you been able to raise the fry at all???

NicoleC
05/31/2005, 09:09 AM
No, I don't have a source for the right size rotifers. I made one attempt with the wrong size thinking I had the right size. YWG's are also really, really hard to raise, apparently. One of these days...

She didn't spawn last night. She's gonna get BIGGER?!

dkreef
06/01/2005, 02:49 AM
Does anyone know where i can find a pair?
pacific reef had a pistol only for $40.
think thats too much.

a.fool.for.fish.
06/01/2005, 02:57 AM
i got a pair from aquatic warehouse in san diego a while back for 27 of 29 bucks