PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that think the pumps might kill pods...

Entropy
05/30/2005, 10:53 PM
I found my yellow watchman in the display tank yesterday. It took the ride from the 110g refuge to my sump, and then managed to squeeze through a 3/8" hole (baffle wall is drilled like swish cheese), and then here is the kicker. It went through my Dolphin 1200 pump and out one of the returns. If a return pump didn't puree a YWG, I seriously doubt it is going to hurt any pods. I am still a bit shocked. :D

hubris007
05/30/2005, 10:55 PM
Well, sure, something that large would clog the thing until it could wiggle through. Those poor pods just get minced.

Just thought i'd burst your logic bubble. Don't really believe it's true.

Entropy
05/30/2005, 11:01 PM
LOL! I don't think my YWG enjoyed the ride, believe me. It took about 24 hours for it to go back to its normal self. I was actually trying to wait until it got much bigger before adding it to the main tank, but I guess it just wanted to be in the show pretty badly.

birdman204
05/30/2005, 11:03 PM
I think that's a great story.
I had a clownfish take a jump out of the back of my reef, bounce off the window behind it, and land in my sump. I KNOW it didn't go down my overflow and anyone who has seen my overflow would agree, there is a snail trap FIRMLY in place around the top cap of my durso standpipe. It does not move, even for me :p, so of course I was shocked one day to notice my female clown from the pair had passed, I was even more shocked 2 days later when I went to clean my skimmer and saw her swimming in the sump :D

supaboy1981
05/30/2005, 11:22 PM
Pods dont get purees by pumps. I see emm get shot out the return pipe all the time when I add topoff. Fully intact and wiggling all over the place, these are even the big pods

birdman204
05/30/2005, 11:23 PM
some do, many do not. Pump type also depends on survivability.

reven
05/30/2005, 11:27 PM
I had a one clown fish go head to head w/ a sedra 5000...

I only have a lonely female looking for a nice, quiet, fun loving male with a great personality now. Any takers?

R.I.P. little man.

NicoleC
05/30/2005, 11:50 PM
My cleaner goby somehow got through the overflow filled with 24" of bioballs (!), over the waterfall from the fuge to the sump, through a baffle filled with rubble rock and through two foam (!) baffles. I found him in the return pump chamber, but his back was broken so he didn't make it even though I took him out and put him in the low-flow goby tank. He's quite old, so I guess he swum near the overflow and was just too weak to not get sucked in. He was small enough to fit through the snail trap, but only if he were facing it head-on.

Entropy
05/31/2005, 10:19 AM
Believe me, I stood there looking baffled for at least five minutes. There are only two ways into my display tank, through the return pump (ouch!), or up my 600gph overflow (after jumping into my filter sock), and then through my eggcrate overflow defense shield. I figure the overflow route is all but impossible, so it must have gone the return pump route. This is the same silly fish that got sucked into the overflow when I got it, got pushed through a impossible small spreader into my refuge, then got netted back to the display tank, only to end up in the sump again. I finally got it back into the refuge so it could recover by itself, but I guess it got bored and went wondering. Fish! :D